It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

pixie637 HB User
Question Can I give my 9 1/2 month old son 2% cows milk?

I have just ran out of formula and very little money. Can I give my son 2% cows milk at 9 1/2 months. Its all I have, please help!
He hasn't had milk by itself before, but he's had food products with milk and cheese and other dairy like that. He doesn't seem to have any reaction to that. I don't plan on giving it to him for all feeding I do feed him baby food and ground up adult food as well. I was only wondering if he could have 2% for like bed. I have read other places that say only whole milk. But I only have 2% and lots of it. Is this ok for just the bedtime feedings if I haven't seen any reaction to other food products? Also how should I give it to him? should I only start with just a little? should I warm it?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User
Re: Can I give my 9 1/2 month old son 2% cows milk?

I started my daughter on cow's milk a little over 10 months old. The whole milk is very important for their brain development because it has higher milk fat. I personally think 9 1/2 months is a little early. But that being said, since he does tolerate other dairy products well, I don't think it'll hurt him. I give my son 2% when I run out of whole, but I only do it for a day until I can more of his milk.

The recommendation is formula until 12 months and then whole milk. But there are some babies who don't like cow's milk and only get their calcium and fat from other forms of dairy. I guess what I'm saying is that a day without it at his age won't hurt until you can get more. So...why don't you call your pediatrian. Don't they have nurses that answer calls like that? They might even have sample cans of formula to help you out until you get more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
(female)

mitpatsmom HB User

I would not give a child cow's milk at 9 1/2 months unless it was OK'd by the pediiatrician. An intolerance to cow's milk may not show up in small amounts, but a whole bottle could make him sick.

I agree with Sem627. Call your doctor and ask if they can give you some sample cans of formula. Also, ask if they can get you on an assistance plan, like WIC.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Personally when I bought formula, I bought the store brand. Think about it......they can't really vary much because they all need to meet certain requirements and I found a name brand and a generic brand that are actually manufactured by the same company, it is a rip off. Try to buy generic or store brand if you can.

I began WHOLE milk at 11-12 months with my daughter. You need to give your baby whole milk because they need the fat in it. 9.5 months may be a little too young overall.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
(female)

ShordyB HB User

My Dr told us to start my son on soy milk at 8 months cause he wasnt very mobile and was getting so heavy off the formula. We had no problem with the transition either. He needed soy cause me and dad cant drink dairy and learned early he cant either. But at 18 months when he went to see grandma, she gave him regular milk and he was fine with it, so now he can take that

Closed Thread