It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

Kaseyjcf HB User
lump in armpit

Helo, I have an almost 11 year old granddaughter who came to us complaining she had a painful spot in her armpit. Her mommy and I looked and we can feel a lump or bump under the skin. She complained it hurt when we touched it. It is quite hard. She has an appointment this week to have the doctor look at it. Anyone out there have any idea what could cause this. I think she is starting puberty as she is definitely going to need a bra soon, she has got some growth there. We are not scared, at least not too much but we are certainly concerned. Thanks to all who read and answer this post. Have a happy day everyone. Kasey

Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User
Re: lump in armpit

If it hurts, it usually means it's not anything like cancer.... so take a deep breath. I would say because of the spot and the onset of puberty it is probably a sebacious cyst or a ingrown hair. Try applying a warm/wet washcloth to see if that helps. Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
(female)

babyluv45 HB User

it could also be just and inflammed lymph node becuase her body is fighting off something, even if she doesnt have symptoms of anything

Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

I, myself, get those all the time. And yes, they hurt a lot when they are touched. I always assume they are blocked sweat glands. They usually go away on their own in a couple days. If it were my child, I would have it checked out though just to be safe.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
(female)

ChristineLynnS HB User

When I was 13, I too had a lump in my armpit. It didnt hurt but got bigger and bigger and bigger, until it was the size of a baseball. I had to have it surgically drained, and they had to put gauze in it and each week pull it out so that it would heal from the inside out. It wasnt painful until after surgury when they had to pull out the gauze after it had already scabbed over. and restuff it with more gauze.

The dr. said it was just a swollen lymph node. They are not sure why It happened, but it was "easily corrected".

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Closed Thread