It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 04:11 AM   #1
(female)

Juniorandtaisma HB User
Potty training a two year old

My son just turned 2 years old, I plan on potty training him before christmas, I would like to hear everyones tips and advice please!!!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 04:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User
Re: Potty training a two year old

Great thread! I have a 2 year old and I started a couple of weeks ago but I am having the hardest time. She just doesn't get it. I really want her to be potty trained by December when baby number two comes along.
People have suggested treats and I was dead set against it but at this point I am seriously considering it since nothing is working. I take her with me so she knows what to do but she just won't do it. I have tried pull ups and they don't seem to help, the regular big girl panties have a better effect.
I would love to see what advice we get.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 05:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

I have 2 boys. One is 4 and the other is 2 1/2. My best advice is to wait until he is ready. All the treats and games in the world don't make a lick of difference if your child just isn't ready. With my oldest I tried everything! I finally just gave up and waited until he made the decision that it was time. It happened when he was three. At first I thought that he was older than most other boys who were potty trained, but soon found that everyone I knew of, their boys really didn't start until they were about three. Yet girls were always in their 2's. My 2 year old isn't showing much interest. Once in awhile he will mention he has to pee, and I ask him if he wants to try the potty. He'll sit on the toilet and sing a song he made up on his own. Nothing has yet to happen.

If you have another on the way, keep in mind that kids may regress after the start of potty training sometimes. My niece did and my son did. He was trained for months, and then my daughter was born. He started having several accidents a day. I found it tougher to continually be cleaning up urine off the floor or couch, rather than changing a diaper. So don't rush and good luck!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I didn't think DS was ready. We'd had a potty chair since he was 18 months old, but after one attempt, which freaked him out -- he couldn't believe THAT came out of him. He wouldn't use it. A few months shy of his 3rd birthday, the daycare director indicated he was ready. Instructed us to purchase a dozen pairs of plastic pants and 1 dozen thick training pants. He'd been waking up dry from naps and was going potty for them. I'd tried regular underwear a few times and he'd peed on the floor. Pullups were just like diapers, so he didn't know he was wet, didn't feel uncomfortable.

Anyway, did a LOT of laundry. LOTS of trips to the bathroom -- He'd say he had to go potty, but it meant RIGHT NOW. So we'd have a few accidents. But he figured it out. Took a couple of weeks and he was completely trained. I still used diapers at night just because I'd stocked up and had tons left over, but for the most part he was dry.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
(female)

mbaxter333 HB User

Oh, its fun. My son wouldn't really start until he was 3. My daughter is 2 now, and trained, just needs help with pants and getting on occasionally. Its the easiest thing since sliced bread, I don't even have to put a diaper on her at night anymore. Now my son, yep gotta have the pullups!! Have fun!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

I have to TOTALLY agree with aelliott!!!! We have also tried everything with our two oldest and it wasn't until they were ready that we finally had success. I really think something has to click inside of them. My second child literally woke up one day and he was ready. I think if you rush it you will have more failed attempts and it will actually become a thing that they will refuse to do. It's all about control and this age and they know they have it with this. I think my son's "click" was attending preschool......he wanted to be a big kid. I think this is where peer pressure was a good thing. In the mean time talk about it to death with them. Play games "where do you go potty?" "Who goes potty?" "What animal's do you know who goes poop?"
Read books about the potty. Watch video's about the potty. Put on a play...be really animated ,announce that you have to go potty and run!!!! Make it fun. When he does go, make it like he just won the lottery to reinforce his success. We actually have a potty party in our house.

I also want to add this to "usam"....every child regardless what age has a regression in one way or another when a new child comes into the family. Don't be surprised if you do have the potty nailed and it all goes down the toilet (no pun intended) when you bring home the new baby.
Good luck to all I think this is one of the greatest challanges you have as a parent!!!! Don't you all agree?

Old 10-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i agree with meechieny, USAM. i worked in a two year old class in a daycare for a few years (i had 13 two year olds all by myself - sometimes i think all we did was go potty all day long!!!!), and those who had the potty training down, always regressed when a new sibling arrived!

SOOOO, what really helped the boys in my classes was sitting them on the potty backwards - facing the back of the toilet. that way they are naturally tilting down and lessens the risk of squirting outside of the potty!

i have NEVER been a fan of the potty chair! with my girls, we got a seat that goes on the toilet and a stool they can climb up on - then they can use the stool for washing their hands at the sink too! it works great, and there's none of that icky dumping out the potty chair when they're done.

NOW, as far as getting a child to actually GO on the potty, i am at a loss! with my first, it was easy, she just started going. with my second..... well, she's pooped on the potty several times, but she will not pee! and it's not like she doesn't have to go, she actually holds it in. so frustrating at times!

ANYWAY.... good luck!!!

Last edited by mcr285; 10-01-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
(female)

junemommy17 HB User

I have a 3 year old boy and he is newly potty trained. He showed no interest and I really did not push it. He goes to MDO and when it came time to move up to a 3 yo classroom he was not able because he was not potty trained. Well I do not work so I kept him home for a week. I got a timer and set it every hour for him to use the potty. He knew when the timer went off it was potty time. I would make a huge deal out of it when he would go. I also got a "poopy treasure box". He could get something out of the treasure box when he went in the potty. It was hard taking him every hour but it worked. He has moved up to the 3 yo classrooom and has no problems.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
(female)

mom2amk HB User

One word...cheerios! I can't remember how old my boys were, but I would put a few in the toilet and let them aim at them. It was like a game to them.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
(female)

mrsdetroit313 HB User

i have a 2 year old girl and having the hardest time too.....she will sit on the potty with no problems and sing a song, read a book, but she won't potty. daycare said they have actually caught her while going poopy and put her on the potty and she won't finish...she waits until she gets her pull up on to finish. i have done the training panties and rubber panties and the only luck we have had with that is she tells me AFTER she has tinkled. good thing is daycare said she finally used the potty today, so hopefully we are moving in the right direction..

good luck to us alll.....

Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 AM   #11
(female)

Juniorandtaisma HB User

well he kind of has a new simbling, his brother is almost 7 months, but my son has pee'd in his potty before, and he knows when he is wet because he will come to me and tell me, also he dont fight to be changed anymore this is why i feel he is ready! im not up for giving him treats, im very strict on candy and sweets i barely let him have them unless on occasion, he goes into the bathroom with my hubby and i once in a while and he knows what the toilet is for. im not really gonna push it though, im not in a rush but it would be nice

Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
(female)

mom2amk HB User

If you don't like using candy as treats, why not try stickers. You can usually get some fairly cheap, especially colorfull smiley faces, at walmart or teacher supply store. You could get a sticker album for the little one to put them in or they can just stick them on themselves. Just remember that they are stuck on shirts when you wash laundry. I made that mistake once or twice. lol!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Having just turned two is very young. I agree with the others who have said to wait until they are ready. Actually if you encourage him along the way and let him make the final decision, you won't have to train at all. The day he is ready he will literally be ready and he will go. I know its hard to believe, but it really is that easy. It happened with that way with all three of our children and was based on the advice from our ped the first time around. Forget about Christmas. You will only create stress for both of you.

Nancy

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

Just be patient with your two year old . I have 3 year old twins (girls) who still wear "pull ups"! When we are at home, I have them wear the "big girl underwear", but when we go out I still put them in pull ups. When they know that they have underwear on, they really want to go in the toilet! But I have noticed when they know they have a pull up on, they are lazy about it! Just don't put a time line on it...or you will stress yourself out!

Good luck!
Mommaoftwinsplus1~~~

Old 10-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #15
(female)

Legsy03 HB User

I work with children and its not a good idea to rush them into getting toilet trained. They will do it when they are ready. If you start toilet training too early, it may take longer to train them. If a child is ready to be toilet trained, it should only take them a week or so to get the idea. If not, its best to wait another few months and then start traning again. I have seen children literally train themselve, this happens in day care a lot because they see other children using the toilet. I agree with the other poster with the twins. If a child is toilet traninng, they will become lazy when wearing pull-ups. I think pull-ups are just like a nappy in that way. They are handy in some ways but some parents use them all the time and I think that defeats the purpose.

Closed Thread