It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

okimom HB User
what are the symptoms of a possible rib fracture in a child?

I accidentally kicked my 18-month old son in the left upper rib/chest area earlier today. I was getting ready to sit on the couch, put my right heel up, and kicked him... pretty hard. I didn't know he had followed me to the couch and that he was right behind me. I heard a small "click" but I don't know if it was him, or me. I am worried I broke a rib. He is not bruised and not tender in the area. He is eating, sleeping, breathing, playing, and running around like nothing is wrong. Is it possible he could have a broken rib, and what are the symptoms?

Old 10-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User
Re: what are the symptoms of a possible rib fracture in a child?

i've never had a broken/fractured rib, but from what i understand, broken/fractured ribs are incredibly painful and you'd definitely know it. it hurts to breathe, it hurts to laugh, it hurts to move.....

so from what you say, it sounds like he's just fine!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
(female)

okimom HB User

Thanks. I mean, I guess I should know if he was really hurt, but he doesn't talk yet, and he really wouldn't be able to tell me if he was in pain, so I just am not sure... I worry because he and his twin brother had strep throat about a month ago, and the only symptom they had was a runny nose. I got suspicious after I came down with strep throat and found out that the symptoms for this in an adult and a baby/child are totally different. They didn't act sick or anything then either. No fever, no coughing, nothing but a runny nose. I can't wait until they start talking, so they can tell me what's wrong or if they are hurting...

Old 10-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just a couple of things here.with a child that young,it would take alot to actually break a rib since their bones still contain alot of cartledge not solid bone yet.BUT the one thing to really worry about is possible "rebound" injury with kids.this is when a force is placed upon the chest or ribs of a child and the ribcage pushes into the underlying organs then bounces back again.everything may 'look' perfectly fine but there "could" possibly be some underlying damage that you just cannot see.the most common organs affected in a child,depending on where the force gets placed are the liver and the spleen.if he appears to be okay,he "probably' is,but quite honestly he should be at least evaluated by his ped along with maybe a chest x ray to be certain nothing got broken.tho the chances are slim,it is always still possible to do this.it is not always accompanied with pain either.it may seem like 'overkill' here but you just really do want to make certain that he is indeed okay.children are very resiliant and can compensate really well when they are injured,but only up to a certain point,then they can crash on you very suddenly.believe me, i have seen that particular scenerio play out way too many times during my time doing ems.just make an appt and get him fully evaled to be sure.it can't hurt.everything is probably fine,but just to be certain,you know?hope all is well,please let us know how he is doing,K? Marcia

Closed Thread