It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

Mrs.Khan HB User
Unhappy autism or delayed development in my premature baby?

Hello everyone !! I am so confused ,worried and disappointed that I canít even explain .please help me .I ama sorry if The history is a bit long but I want to share everything and get the best opinion,
My son was borne premature (30 weeks gestation ) .his development has been slow .He is now 21 months old but he canít walk .he can glide holding to furniture . I always thought that his main problem is just delayed development because of prematurity .but now I have noticed some other problems with him as well . He doesnít make eye contact and even if he does it doesnít last for more than a sec .He also doesnít look at objects when I point at them .If he needs something he tries to hold it with his hand and doesnít point to it .he loves to play peek a boo though .He loves when I or anyone cuddles him or kiss him .He remembers the friends that he make but for a short time .I left him with my aunt when I had to go abroad for a week .I thought he was missing me as he was sad and stopped eating but when I came back he wasnít v happy to see me .Rather he was more happy to come and see our house (esp the tv and his play area ) .This made me think does he love material objects more than humans? He canít even say mama dada till now and even if he does ,I f eel he is just repeating it .He doesnít know how to relate names with objects .( I am severely depressed .he doesnít rock himself back and forth .But he also doesnít respond to voice .he likes making shrieks and he responds if I shriek .He responds to noises and he loves to listen to music .He laughs and giggles when he gets a new toy or when we cuddle him .That is his only way of making contact .He doesnít seem to be aware of danger .He got few cuts on his hand twice as he broke a glass and was playing with glass pieces .I think his pain threshold is more cause he cried only when I put antiseptic on him
Do u think its autism or can this only be delayed development .What can be done about these issues ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
(female)

Arls1 HB User
Re: autism or delayed development in my premature baby?

If you are really concerned I would take him to the doctors and get him assessed. I don't have much experience in this but I feel your worry. It could be nothing or something but better to be safe than sorry.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jackstersmom HB User
Re: autism or delayed development in my premature baby?

I hope you don't find this offensive, but my son was born at 31 weeks gestation and he is almost 2 1/2 and not delayed at all. He was walking just after his 1st birthday, and was talking even before that. It does sound to me like your son may have a medical problem, and it's good that you notice these signs and think that it's probably not normal. I don't really have any experience with autism, but I agree with the other responder that you should definitely take him to a doctor. At least then you can stop worrying about it. Again, please don't find this offensive, I just wanted to let you know that not all premature babies are delayed.

Closed Thread