It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

pattonedn HB User
Question stomach aches and fever

My grandson has had a stomach ache for 3 days now, he has been to the doctor and she said it was gas...it hurts him so bad he cant sleep long peroids at a time, and he crys and whines, my daughter took him to the doc. yesterday then to the emerency room last night, and they said it was also gas, and they did x-rays and ultrasounds, and didnt find anything, what is wrong, could you please help me, he is only 4 yrs old, they are going to take him back to the emerency room at a different hospital.,,please help...loving grandmother.........

Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
(female)

soccermom128 HB User
Re: stomach aches and fever

I'm sorry about your grandson. It's so frustrating when you don't know what's going on. Gas wouldn't cause a fever. Does he have diarhea or is he vomiting? Is he able to tell you where it hurts in his tummy? Does it hurt when it's pressed on? Has appendicitis been ruled out? You said they did x rays and an ultrasound. My 8 year old had appendicitis last year and it was confirmed by a CT scan. It could just be a virus but if he is in severe pain and running a fever he should be seen by another doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2007, 02:15 AM   #3
(female)

pattonedn HB User

thanks soccermom, he was some what better yesterday, but still not him self, my daughter said the doctors didnt think it was anything like appendicitis, because he didnt cry when they pushed on his stomach, but as you and I both know children arent the same...but they are going to take him back today if hes not noticely better...his grandfather is a doctor, and suggest blood work and as you said a ct scan, but hopefully he will better today....I will let you know....peace to you and have a good day...Edna

Old 10-06-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

some children with a stomach bug will only get bad gas pains without all the diarrhea or vomiting that usually accompanies a stomach bug.... especially if the child isn't prone to throwing up.

other thoughts.....
could it be from something he is eating? has the date been checked on all the foods he's been served over the past several days? my daughter started getting awful stomach aches last spring, and after a few days i realized the butter had expired a couple of months before. and another time the salad dressing had expired by a couple of weeks and it caused all of us to have bad stomach cramps. no throwing up or diarrhea in either situation, just bad cramps. also, personally, if i get a lot of fiber and iron in my diet simultaneousy, it can really screw me up and causes me to get some pretty fierce stomach cramps. and does he drink sodas? sodas can do awful things to a young tummy!

okay, those are easy solutions. appendicitis has already been mentioned, but have they looked at his gallbladder? i know gall stones can cause horrible stomach cramps like that, and so can a bile duct blockage. also, sometimes urinary tract infections can manifest in the form of tummy aches too.

you might try giving him LOTS of water, and maybe some very light foods if he's hungry (dry toast, applesauce, plain rice, saltines....). the more water the better, because if there is anything in his little system that is causing discomfort, the water would flush it out.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
(female)

pattonedn HB User

Thanks for the advice, today he seemed to be a little better, but as it started getting later he started complaining about his stomach again, i think they are going to take him back to the emerengy room tonight, and they may give him a ct scan and do some blood work. I just wish he didnt have to go though all that but i think he needs to this is the 4th day that this has been going on....thanks again..Edna

Old 10-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
(female)

horseygirl14 HB User

Could he be constipated - although you wouldn't get fever with constipation. My son complained of stomach pains when he was younger when he was constipated. He also had strep throat once without the sore throat but with a stomach ache - isn't that odd. I thought so. Good luck. I hope he feels better soon.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:55 AM   #7
(female)

pattonedn HB User

Hey I just really wanted to thank the people that took the time to help me, I am glad to tell you that he is better. He was hurting for 5 days, my daughter was going crazy, but when he came around, I tried to keep his mind off of his being sick, and it seemed to work..but anyway, after the 5th day, he was back to his little beautiful self talking a mile a minute...thanks so much for caring....your friend for life...

Old 10-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

glad to hear he's feeling better! did they find out what caused the tummy ache?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
(female)

pattonedn HB User
Smile Re: stomach aches and fever

Hey they had said it was constipation, but I can tell you it was the worse case i have ever seen, and i hope it never happens again, he was so pitiful....thanks for caring

Closed Thread