It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
(female)

okimom HB User
19 month old with runny nose, sneezing, and cracked lips

My 19-month-old son has had a runny nose for about 4 days and what looked like chapped lips. So this morning, I put a little Chapstick on his lips. When they woke up from their afternoon nap, it looked like his lips had cracked and bled a little. After dinner time, I went to wipe his mouth with a washcloth and noticed his lips looked really swollen and they have what look like blisters under the surface. Does anybody know what this could be? He has not acted sick, but he has refused warm foods, and will only eat chilled or room temp fruit and a little bit of dry cereal. His twin brother also has had a runny nose, but no chapped or cracked lips, and he has been eating normally. Neither of them have a temperature and have been acting otherwise normal. any info on this would be appreciated. I plan on taking him to the pediatrician tomorrow, but would like to find out more in the meantime...thanks!

Old 10-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User
Re: 19 month old with runny nose, sneezing, and cracked lips

Is it only on his lips? Could it be inside his mouth as well? Cold sores are common in children his age. If they are inside his mouth as well he may have the coxsackie virus which is VERY common and it's the right time of the year for it.
I would monitor him for fever. Give Motrin for the pain and inflammation and keep him drinking. Popscicles would be great too.
Good luck. I hope he gets better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I would find use the nise bulb to suck the snot out of their nose to keep it coming out. I also prefer homepathic verisions of medicine instead of tylenol or motrin. Usually when my 18 month old daugher or myself does not feel well I use Vicks Baby Rub, Little Noses or Little Colds brand and lip balm and it usually clears up right away. She has never actually gotton sick yet, so maybe you could try other ways to help them feel better. I would take them to a doctor if they have blisters on their lips. Perhaps your home is dry, humdifiers should help.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 10-15-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

I would say coxsackie also. My son had it around this age. He had the blisters all over the inside of his mouth and tongue, but it started with just some red spots and cold symptoms. If tis turns out to be the case-be prepared it will get worse and is very painful. The only thhing that got my son to eat anything was this- my doc told me to mix benadryl and maalox in a cup, stir it together then try to coat the inside of the baby's mouth-I used latex gloves and my finger- it wasn't easy and he screamed but aftet he numb enough to eat (he hadn't eaten in 3 days) This doesn't last very long so have whatever you're going to feed him ready before you do this. Good luck!

Closed Thread