It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

chewie75 HB User
My husband has a down syndrome baby. What are the chance of us having another one?

My husband has a down syndrome baby from his first marriage. What are the chance of us having another one?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
(female)

momtofour HB User
Re: My husband has a down syndrome baby. What are the chance of us having another on

That depends on what kind of ds his child has. Does he have translocation, mosaic, or spontaneous Trisomy 21? If it is what most people with ds have- spontaneous Trisomy 21 it shouldn't have much barring on your chances. This kind of ds just happens at conception- nobody knows why. I've heard 1%- but, I think that is just a number. Mosaic happens between the 10th and 13th week of conception.. so I don't know if that has affect on future pregnancies. Translocation is the type that is mostly passed from one parent to the child. Do a search for the 3 different types and that will give you a better idea. Also, you can make an appointment with a genetist and they will tell you if you need to do bloodwork to give you more information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: My husband has a down syndrome baby. What are the chance of us having another on

Also, how old are you and how old was the child's mother when she conceived him?

Closed Thread