It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
(female)

3sweetpeas HB User
Tummy issues

My 2 year old started having Diarrhea about a week ago. She has seemed a little off, but not really sick. Over the last few days she has begun complaining off and on that her Tummy hurts. She is still having very loose stools and is passing quite a bit of mucus in them. This has me a little concerned. Yesterday she began getting a cold as well. Any thoughts on what this might be? Should I take her to the DR or any ideas what I could do for her? I have been cutting out dairy since I know that can irritate her tummy. I have been giving her probiotic to help regulate her digestive system.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
(female)

soccermom128 HB User
Re: Tummy issues

My sister had her 6 year old son in to see the doctor this morning for the same symptoms. He has been sick since Saturday only his symptoms started with a cold and fever. He started complaining of stomach pain yesterday and has diarhea.

His doctor thinks he has Adenovirus which is very common in young children, highly contagious, not treatable with antibiotics (Virus) and can last up to a week. If you do a Google search, there is a lot of information about it.

I looked it up because both of my boys have colds right now and the younger one had tummy trouble prior to the cold symptoms.

It's never a bad idea to have your child checked for a bacterial infection if she seems to be getting worse or showing signs of dehydration.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #3
(female)

tiera HB User
Re: Tummy issues

words of caution regarding chronic diarrhea:
My entire family was ill this summer with diarrhea. With what we may never know. We were treated for both E-coli and without any positive tests. My 2-yr old really suffered (almost 4 months of symptoms). This 2 year old sounds like a possible parasite. I believe Giardia may cause mucus-y stools. Make sure you know everywhere she has eaten and been lately. Ask the doctor to order samples (best done with rubber pants, they can't be retrieved from diapers usually). Be careful administering anti-diarrheals like pepto or immodium. We think it started a blockage in my son, which actually led to the extended diarrhea. Also Probiotics aren't great for diarrhea. These are used for cystic fibrosis and one way to tell it's working is that it actually causes diarrhea. Please get that child to a doctor now!!

Closed Thread