It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 05:18 AM   #1
(female)

lilsis1071 HB User
My 5 year old wont eat !!

My 5 year son will not eat any food that is good for him.
His diet is very slim. He will not eat or even try meat. He doesnt eat veggies other that corn. All he really eats contains some form of sugar. He really doesnt even drink alot to make him feel like hes not hungry.

This has been going on since day one. I am worried he doesnt get enough of what his body needs.
How can I get him to try other foods and start eating a better diet.
I know alot of children go through this, I would like to have some ideas of what others have done to get there kids to eat better.
Thank you all,
Wendy

Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
(female)

soccermom128 HB User
Smile Re: My 5 year old wont eat !!

Hi Wendy,

I know how frustrating that can be, I have a picky eater too. For the first few years, my son seemed to survive on pasta, cucumbers & yogurt. Dinner time became very "unpleasant"! He would sit at the table and push his food around and complain about how much he didn't like it, then out of concern he wasn't getting enough nutrition, I would let him have a bowl of Cherrios before bed. Big Mistake!! My son was okay with that and was having Cherrios for dinner probably 4 times a week.

My husband thought that was crazy. He came from a family where the parents made you sit at the table and eat everything. I don't agree with that philosophy, especially since everyone on my husbands side of the family now have weight issues, but I agreed that my way of handling it wasn't good either.

So, we compromised. My son now knows that he will be served what we consider a healthy portion of food for an 8 year old. He has a choice whether to eat it or not. If he chooses not to eat, he gets NOTHING for the rest of the evening. If he does eat his dinner, he may choose a snack later. There were several nights, he went to bed saying he was "starving". Obviously, he wasn't.

This has been a long process, and he is still a picky eater, but he is getting better. I'm sure it's a maturity thing as well as just trying new foods. My son wouldn't eat meat for the longest time and now he actually likes it.

The bigggest thing for us is remaining consistent. If your child knows the rules can change, he will challenge you.

Another thing that helped with my son was the school. They study nutrition every year and are encourage to bring only healthy foods for snack time. This year they did the food pyramid and reading labels. Now he's constantly reading labels and makes a game out of it at dinner by quizing everyone at the table about the nutritional content of some item we have out such as the milk carton, cheese package, frozen vegis etc.

I hoped this helped some. One other thought. Some people are just going to be picky eaters. I have a 32 year old sister who was extrememly picky as a child, she hasn't gotten much better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: My 5 year old wont eat !!

Don't give him any foods with sugar?

Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Continue to prepare and offer nutritious foods for him. Limit, but not eliminate, a lot of the foods which are high sugar, from your pantry. Then at a meal offer something he will eat along with the other nutritious things. If he chooses to eat them, so be it. If not, let it go and don't make an issue of it. Most kids eventually do learn to eat a more varied diet. You probably ought to give him a multi vitamin each day so you can be sure he is at least getting some vitamins and minerals that he needs. Our oldest was very picky as a toddler and preschooler, but when he got to school and peer pressure kicked in he started doing much better. When he got to middle school peer pressure became even more profound and that is when he started eating foods like salads, seafood, etc. He eats almost anything you put in front of him now.

Nancy

Old 11-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

I know exactly where you are. I have been there, and still am somewhat. i have a five year old that is extremely picky. At 2 he was extremely anemic because of his diet. He would eat like 15, (really 15) cheerios for breakfast, 2 bites of weiner for lunch, and 1/2 a roll for dinner. it lasted forever, or what seemed like forever. i would cry to his pediatrition. she promised me that he would eat when he was hungry and to just keep trying. He was on multivitiams. it took a while, but he started eating more. I had to really limit his drinking. he would subsitute chocolate milk for a meal. He still is not a great eater, but we have a saying. "you don't know if you like it until you try it" We say that at almost every meal. I at least make him try it. most of the time he doesn't like it, but ocassionaly he will. i remember being the same way as a child. i lived off of mac and cheese. and now at 25 i will eat just about anything. so there is hope. it may take years, which i have come to realize. but we are getting there. and hopefully you will to.

Closed Thread