It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
(male)

bsherman HB User
Exclamation Swallowed dental floss...

My 2.5 year swallowed a few feet of dental floss and now there's a string coming out the other end. It's pretty well stuck and I don't want to pull! Will it come out naturally? Is there a possibility that it could be stuck or is it just stuck in transition? My first thought was to take her to the doctor but I'm not sure they could or would do anything about it. I can't bear the thought of subjecting her to a colonoscopy!

Old 12-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Re: Swallowed dental floss!

I think you need to at least call the doctor. I wouldn't pull it but I also wouldn't just let it be. What if it gets wrapped around the intestines? It's just a phone call.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i've always been told that what goes in, will inevitably come out! but that's usually said with pennies, marbles, polly pockets..... dental floss is a new one, and i'm not so sure it's a watch and wait kind of thing. i'd advise at least calling your doctor to find out for sure if they'd be able to do anything....

now the question i'm sure everyone wants to know.... how the heck did your kid manage to swallow that much dental floss??? was it all rolled up or did your child unroll it and "eat" it? and i'm absolutely not knocking your parenting skills (my older kid recently ate hand gel, and i just caught my youngest playing in her trash can with all her dirty diapers!!!!). and, when i was a kid, i used to chew on flavored dental floss and pretended it was gum.... i was just lucky i never swallowed it!

let us know what the doctor says....

Old 12-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
(male)

bsherman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr285 View Post
i've always been told that what goes in, will inevitably come out! but that's usually said with pennies, marbles, polly pockets..... dental floss is a new one, and i'm not so sure it's a watch and wait kind of thing. i'd advise at least calling your doctor to find out for sure if they'd be able to do anything....

now the question i'm sure everyone wants to know.... how the heck did your kid manage to swallow that much dental floss??? was it all rolled up or did your child unroll it and "eat" it? and i'm absolutely not knocking your parenting skills (my older kid recently ate hand gel, and i just caught my youngest playing in her trash can with all her dirty diapers!!!!). and, when i was a kid, i used to chew on flavored dental floss and pretended it was gum.... i was just lucky i never swallowed it!

let us know what the doctor says....

Well, she's a funny little girl! She loves to floss. She's actually pretty good at it and gets in between most of her teeth. It's adorable. She's never swallowed it before but this time she did something unexpected. I took my eye off her for a few seconds and the next thing I know: "Daddy, I swallowed it." I"ll keep you posted. Thanks for the advise!

Old 12-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
(male)

TacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB User
Re: Swallowed dental floss...

Whatever you do, don't pull on it. The intestines are delicate and you could cut the insides. The danger is that the floss could get tied around the intestines which will cause blockage. A bowel movement could possibly remove the floss. If it were in my own system, I might be more apt to wait because I know what it feels to be backed up vs. normal. A child may not be able to describe what is going on well. If you see black in the BM, then there is bleeding higher in the intestines. If you see blood, it's a sign that there is bleeding in the lower intestines. If you choose to wait, be sure to watch for blood in the stool and/or bloating that indicate the intestines are becoming bound by the floss.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Swallowed dental floss...

I have a 1.5 year old who also loves to floss, I found myself wondering if it was possible for her to ever swallow it, now I know, thanks.

Closed Thread