It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

Kyrieam HB User
miralax dosing for 5 year old with severe hypotonia

miralax dosing for 5 year old

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User
Re: miralax dosing for 5 year old with severe hypotonia

My sons dr. (a pediactric gastointerologist) told me that if you give them the whole bottle it would not hurt them, it would just clean them out. Dosing is really a matter of how much they need. My son is 2.5 and been on miralax for almost a year. He gets severly constipated without it. He started off on a full cap. (Up to the white part in the lid) Which is what adults start out on too. But thats what it took to get him going. And he started that dose at just over a year. I just mix it in his milk a dinner everyday. Now he is on about 1/2 a teaspoon. So you should give him a capfull everyday until he goes. Hopefully this is just a one or two time thing for you. I understand completelely, like i said we have been doing this for a year. i am slowly trying to wean him off. so hopefully we are not far. Good luck you you, and hope this helps.
Brandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
(female)

Jones0323 HB User

Quick question, what is hypotonia?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Have you really SERIOUSLY ever tried or thought about sitting down and really figuring out what your child is consuming that makes them constipated? You have ease this problem for your child without drugs, which contain harmful toxins. My daughter easily gets constipated, but I decided to instead what what she eats. It isn;t easy and I did A LOT of reading on the subject about food, but you know what? It works, without drugs, but you really have to read about which foods contribute to constipation and also which foods your child be lacking that causes it too. I found too contributors to my daughters constipation is overcosumption of milk or yogurt. Sometimes I didn't give her enough fruits and vegetable that help and I also found another is she wasn't drinking enough water on warm days which causes your body to dry out as well as her stools. You can do this without drugs that are causing side effects, all drugs do have side effects.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

alexa, I understand completely what you are saying. All drugs do have side effects. Which is why we are where we are in the first place. My son is on zyrtec, singulair, and pulmacort. Some of the effects of singulair are constipation. But without singulair and zyrtec, He is a complete hive. We have been in the hospital 2 times in the last year. and had pneumonia and rsv several times through out the year that was close to becoming a hospital stay. That is why he is now on pulmacort. Without these medicines, he would be in the hospital all the time. And believe me, i would take him off tomorrow if i could, but it is not worth he not being able to breath and ending up in the hospital.
I agree that changing diet, etc. is the best way to treat constipation if it can be done, which in our case, cannot. I'm not meaning to get defensive, but i feel that i am always being accused of being a bad parent because my little one takes so much medicine. But honestly i have taken him to at least 5 different kinds of drs. to try to do something different. All say the same thing. some want to put him on more. But he is now doing the best he has ever done, and is a very happy, active little boy.
like i said i am sorry about being defensive and pregnancy hormones don't help either. Hope you all have a good week and get that constipation undercontrol however it is.
Brandi

Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Have you ever taken your child to a holistic or naturopathic doctor? They try ti find the actual root of the problem and treat accordingly. Medicines, unfortunately do not fix or cure anything, they only treat the symptoms and never the root of the problem. These doctors are not common yet, but people are starting to lean that way for medical help. Just a suggestions. I could definately understand why you would feel defensive. I notice many people will treat constipation with medicine, like in my daughter's case, she is completely healthy, but it is all in what I feed her and I had to take time to find the root of the problem: constipation. It probably would have been easier to give her a laxative medicine. I am merely suggesting that people can also look into the food they consume for the answers sometimes. Best of luck to you in your pregnancy,

Old 12-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

thanks! Going thru the hormonal and nauseaous stage. 12 weeks. I appreciate the advise. We live in the boon docks. No dr. like that here, maybe the closest is houston. We may definately try. But we do know the root of his problems. He is allergic to dust, every tree and grass. So I don't know how they would treat that. It is something that can't be avoided. But i will definately look into it. my MIL lives there, so i may ask her to look. Thanks again and have a good week. And a merry christmas!
Brandi

Closed Thread