It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

firstqueen_bee HB User
Kids have had diarrhea for over a week

My kids age 7 and 9 have had diarrhea since before xmas. My 9 yo daughter had bouts of vomiting a couple of days before xmas. Then she seemed fine. The day after xmas, she woke up in the middle of the night and threw up. My 7 yo son threw up later that morning. Then he slept all day besides visiting the bathroom to have diarrhea. My daughter seems fine now, has her appetite back but says she still has the runs. My son has had little or no appetite for a week and has diarrhea mixed w/constipation.

He goes to the b/room with diarrhea but also says that he has some hard stool that hurts his behind when it comes out. He will get 2 bites into a meal and then quit eating b/c it hurts his stomach. This is not normal for him b/c he is a great eater and loves food.

Should I go ahead and take both of the to the dr or is there anything they can do for it? They go back to school next week and I hate to send them back for diarrhea. There has been a virus going on around here but I have never heard of one lasting for this long.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User
Re: Kids have had diarrhea for over a week

My kids also have the stomach bug. Slight low grade fever at nights, little vomiting....ALOT of diarrhea!!!!!! Before Christmas sounds a little long. I would call your dr's office and see if they want to see them. Make sure they are not having any dairy in the mean time. It will make it worse. Try a "BRAT" diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast.
Good luck, hope they are better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
(female)

felix61379 HB User

My entire family had it , including myself. It stays for about 1 to 2 weeks! My 2 year old son couldn't shake the diarrhea. It has FINALLY ended! Give it some time, but it should clear up soon. Give them lots of rice and such. Binding foods!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

The bland diet always works for us too (breads, cereal, rice, etc.) except we have never been able to tolerate the bananas and applesauce. Yes, stay away from dairy, meat, grease/oils, fruits and vegies. What helps is getting some good bacteria back in your colon. If you can tolerate vanilla or plain yogurt this is a good way to get some acidophilus back in your gut. You can also go to the healthfood store and get some probiotics which are always tolerated since they are just a pill without the dairy. The doc can tell you if this virus has been going around.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

my doctor said stay away from ALL dairy until at least 48 hours after the last bout of diarrhea. stick with the BRAT diet like other posters said.... it's not exciting, but neither is diarrhea!!! hope it clears up soon!

Closed Thread