It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
child has bump on collar bone and has had no injuries?

Apparently when I logged on it went under my moms account! lol
my 6 year old son had a bump appear over a month and a half ago at the end of his collar bone near the throat, on one side only. Its hard like bone and raised and round and actually sticks out. its a little smaller then a dime. He hasn't had any injuries or broken bones, so Im concerned that this appeared out of no where. I took him to the doctor and they did an x-ray. Everything looked normal. Bump did not appear on x-ray? But is obvious something is there. They tried to dismiss me saying its probly been there and everything is fine! Telling me I could make an appointment with a bone doctor?! Im no doctor but if it didn't show up on an x-ray its probly not a bone!? I said i would like blood tests done to see if anything abnormal showed up. they r supposed to call me back after they schedule them. Am I just paranoid? He is my first son and I do have a 6 month old, I have never heard of this? Any ideas on what it could be?
conerned Hildy

Last edited by Kasey443; 01-17-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: child has bump on collar bone and has had no injuries?

I'm feeling my collar bone and it seems like it is rounded on the end, toward my neck. Have you felt yours or your husband's?
Maybe he has a larger rounded end then most of us.
If this is something not normal, then yes, I would also be concerned. Better safe than sorry.
Good luck and hope all works out well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Thank you for posting any suggestions are helpful. No its not that. I did feel mine just to check and its smooth and rounded and no bumps. This bump is on one side and it sits on top of the collar bone at the end, by his neck. when you look at it, it looks like a normal collar bone with something larger then a pea sitting on top of the bone. There is a noticable difference from one side to the other becuase of that bump. I have never seen anything like it and the only refferance I can find to it is when a kid gets a fracture or break and it starts to heal again. (calcium deposits) or worst case sinario tumor or cancer....this is what ****** came up with when I typed in bump on childs collar bone.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

could it be a swollen lymph node? i'd get a second opinion and insist on better, more thorough testing!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WELL we are set up to go into the bone doctor on friday and get blood tests done aswell. My son has been sick for about 3 weeks off and on with coughing and colds. Hes tired all the time and when I sat down to think about it he had a rash on his bum show up around the same time as the lump on the collar bone. A 6 year old should'nt be getting a rash there! Im freaked out to say the least and will report all of this to the doctor when we see him friday, if not before.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

okay, don't freak out! i completely understand your fears, but your son's symptoms don't have to be the worst case scenario!

the rash could be coincidental.... a lot of 6 year old boys (and girls) still have wiping issues (if they wipe at all) which could lead to getting a rash on his bum. dry skin can lead to skin rashes as well, and the bottom area seems to be the most neglected area for lotioning, so a dry skin rash on the bottom is quite common in children too (my two girls get it all the time until i get smart enough to remember to put lotion on their bottoms after bathtime!).

swollen lymph nodes are also quite common in children, especially during/after a bout with a nasty cold.... and sometimes they stay swollen for quite a while even after the illness is gone.

as far as the cough/cold on and off for 3 weeks.... with all the weather changes that are going on right now, i'm always shocked when i meet a child who ISN'T sick with a cough or cold! my two have spent the last almost two months fighting off coughs and colds! i think they might have had a few days here and there where they didn't have any symptoms! it's just that time of year!

and last, his being tired all the time.... could be if he's coughing or can't breathe through his nose, he's probably not sleeping well at night. a good dose of nyquil, robitussin, any other cough suppressant/decongestant can really do wonders for a child's sleep! if you're anti medicine, a nice cup of hot honey and lemon is great for soothing a cough!

i hope you don't think i'm blowing off your concerns.... i just want to ease your mind a bit. mystery bumps and prolonged illness can be scary to think about, but they don't have to be! i hope everything goes well at the doctor. let us know what happens!

Old 01-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay we went to the doctor they tested his thyroid and I asked them to test his white and red blood cell count and im glad I did becuase the doctor was going to issue a test for it after they already tested his blood for thyroid. This was the first time he has had his blood taken from the arm with a needle while awake! he was very brave. Any way the good news is he said its not a tumor or cancer. The doctor told me that it is cartalig..not sure if I spelled correctly. Sometimes if you get hurt it can grow back funny. Apparently there is a syndrom that people any age can get where their bones just keep growing since we don't recall him getting hurt the doc said that could be it and if it does they just knock him out and remove it. He still is sick and has a fever but his white and red look within normal range his iron is slowing coming up. They want to watch him for the next six weeks to monitor his health and the bump. For the whole butt rash thing...I never really thought about the wipping issue! Which is an isssue lol Im always getting after him to wipe. Im sure thats it! Im going to go back to getting him the kando wipes. We should get the thyroid tests back shortly!
Thanks so much everyone has been a great help and support. Im very relieved its not something serious.

Closed Thread