It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

chrismommy HB User
6 month old with what looks to be a rash/dried out skin?

my 6 month old son has what looks to be a rash that started out on his stomach back and chest has spread to his arms and legs but sometimes the same spots look really dried out it feels like goose bumps
what could it be ? he also cut 2 teeth on the 8th and 11th of this month

Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: 6 month old with what looks to be a rash/dried out skin?

Sound likes maybe eczema. Babies tend to get that. You can use Calendula on them. I buy Caliornia Baby Calendula cream from Target. Calendula is like a marigold flowers and it has great healing abilities for the skin including bruises, cuts, etc. I also have a homemade Calendula Salve too. Some people just buy the eczema cream or lotions, but I try to stay away from the chemicals in most of those lotions and creams and use something more natural personally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
(female)

felix61379 HB User

It could be eczema or keratosis. A lot of the OTC creams contain a lot of ethel alcohol, which I find actually dries it out more. I tend to try and find lotion w/out chemicals, like the pp said. There is a lotion called renew which works wonders. It's all natural and contains melaleuca oil.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

ooohhhh! i LOVE renew lotion! it cured my dry knees & elbows problem this winter and i use it on my girls all the time!!! it's great!

Old 02-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Is is possible that the child could have strep throat? You did not mention how long the rash has been there. We recently had strep go through our house twice, once in November and January. I was, sick, had a horrible sore throat and fever. My 2 year old just did not feel good, had a slight fever, and slightly red little bumps all over this chest, that felt like sandpaper. I was tested for strep came back negative, but they treated me anyway. Two days later (the meds worked on me, and I did have strep, it just did not test positive on the rapid test) I took my 2 year old old to pediatrician, and he tested positive. The rash is a sign of strep throat. Again in January, we got strep, and me, my 4 year old, and 2 year old. All had horrible rashes. Mine was on my face, and the boys were on their chests and bellies.

I wanted to let you know that a rash could be a sign of strep. Have you come in contact with someone who has had it? Or it could be just a pesky old skin rash, for which I like eucerin. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

It does sound like eczema - I have a patch on my knee right now.

Have you started feeding your baby solids? It could be an allergic reaction to something.

I would have the doctor check it out. Does it seem to itch him? Eczema itches like crazy!

Old 02-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User

It sounds like eczema, not a big deal. My son also had eczema his pediatrician prescribed a cream to put on the spots a few times a day and it cleared up. I would take him to the doctor, just to be safe, but I wouldn't worry about it. Most babies outgrow it by the time they are toddlers.

Closed Thread