It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
(female)

Lerie HB User
Question 8-year-old has rash, but no other symptoms

Hi,
I haven't posted here before, but I was wondering if I could get an opinion on a rash my son has. It's all over his tummy, chest, back, legs, arms, even his forehead and nose. Some bumps look like little red goosebumps and some are bigger and look like pimples. I searched online to see what rash it looks most like and from what I can tell it looks like heat rash. My only concern is that he's had it for about 5 days and I thought heat rash went away once you cooled off? He says it doesn't itch and he doesn't have a fever or even a cold. Should I take him to the doctor or does this sound like a flukey thing that will go away on its own? I also gave him benedryl for a few days, but that didn't help at all.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: 8-year-old has rash, but no other symptoms

Sorry Lerie, haven't a clue. If it were something like chicken pox or measles I would think there would be some itching or fever. Does anyone else in his class have or had this? I would ask the school. I assume he's had the chicken pox but some people can get them again. Could be that?
I (from someone who waits forever before taking their kids to the doctor!) would probably have him looked at since it's been 5 days. Would hate to have him have something that may be contagious.
Good luck on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

Lerie HB User

Hi. Yes, he has had chicken pox and shingles and he's also been vaccinated for chicken pox. Poor guy got it all. The school hasn't sent anything out about a rash, but then yesterday I noticed something similar on my younger son, but his was on his bottom. I wasn't sure if it was pull-up irritation or the same rash my older one has. He is prone to skin break-outs. He's had eczema before and about a month ago he broke out in hives. But, this is the most extensive one I've seen on him and I would expect it to be getting better by now. I guess I'm questioning taking him in because my husband always accuses me of being overprotective and he thinks he doesn't need to go to the doctor since it's not bothering him. My mommy instincts just won't let it go though. I suppose I should just spend the $20 and take him to the doctor so I can at least have peace of mind!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

I'm with you. For $20, it wouldn't hurt to take him. You never know. And most rashes usually clear up after a few days like you said so it makes you think it could be something else. And husbands, I know... always thinking things like this can wait, but you hate to wait too long.
I'm for going and I'd just take him to the doctors. If your husbands like mine he probably won't even know unless there is something to this.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

I would take him to the doc. I wouldn't mess around with rashes. Is he taking any medications? You can get rashes from medications.

Last edited by Sannah; 01-25-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

My friend's daughter has eczema and she had a rash on her stomach this past week. My friend didn't know what to think of it- thought it was the eczema. Well, lo and behold, her daughter started throwing up last night. She just thinks it is a virus. But I also think you need to take your son to the docotrs, just to be safe. It will be the best $20 spent.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
(female)

mindyr11 HB User

My 10 year old had very bad eczema as a baby. She seemed to grow out of it around 4. Then last year she began having what I though were allergic rashes out of the blue. When I took her to the doctor he said it was eczema. He said sometimes they outgrow it and sometimes they don't. The bad thing is that at this age it tends to persist throughout adulthood. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

I just took my 2yo daughter to the dr today for the same thing.....exactly as you described, but her's ithches He thought it was a viral rash. Let me know if you get a diagnosis. I am curious. Hope he is better soon.

Closed Thread