It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

Katiesmom123 HB User
Please help...anyone have kids with low co2 levels in blood?

My daughter Katie is almost 3 and she has had low bicarb (C02) levels since she was an infant. She was diagnosed with failure to thrive as she wasn't growing/gaining weight much. She's had tons of tests done...she's been to a nephrologist. The nephrologist did urine tests, kidney panels and even tests for metabolic disordrers but the only thing that comes up out of whack is the low bicarb. She's on polycitra solution.

Even with the Polycitra solution, her bicard levels only go up to borderline low. (20-21). The range for her age begins at 21. Hers has been 19, and once 17. The nephrologist was completely no help...she's not sure that it's her kidneys because all the other blood values look normal. She says the level is low because I forgot to give her the doses a couple of times.

We went to an pedi endo with our arm full of tests, to hear his thoughts. As luck would have it, the bicarb test most recent to the visit was a normal 23. So he of course thought nothing was wrong. That was a year ago.

So she's generally being treated by her Pediatrician. Her bicarbs had been coming back borderline even on the medicaiton. Now this past time her bicarb was ONLY 14. I was very alarmed. He said everything else was normal. Her only other symptoms she's small for her age and she doesn't eat much. She's got tons of energy and doesn't seem to be in pain.

We are going back to the endo in 2 wks for our yearly follow up, he wants to check her growth. I am interested in to see what he'll say about the 14 bicarb!

Thanks,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katiesmom123 For This Useful Post:
BenjaminsMom (07-30-2012), Danielichi (08-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread