It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User
Exclamation pepto for a two year old???

can i give pepto bismol to my two year old? it's four in the morning and she says her tummy hurts and she just threw up the tiniest bit of curdled milk.... there is a stomach bug going around and i'm worried that she might be getting that.... but she is also teething and has a fever now so i'm really hoping that's all it is!!!! but i want to help her tummy get settled so she can go back to sleep.... HELP!!!!!

Last edited by mcr285; 02-12-2008 at 02:23 AM.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User
Re: pepto for a two year old???

I've always heard that pepto should not be given to children, especially if they have fever. Something to do with Reye's Syndrome.

My olderst daughter was 18 before I let her even take pepto.

My youngest daughter recently had the stomach virus that was going around our area. The doctor said that it just had to run its course and not to stop the vomitting. Provide plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration and fever reducer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Yes, your body has vomiting and diarrhea to get rid of the virus or food poisoning or whatever. Do not stop this natural process. We have always had good luck with feeding grains only with stomach viruses (rice, cereal, crackers, bread, etc.). Definitely no oil/grease, meat, dairy or fruits and vegies. My children have their first vomiting/diarrhea and as long as I feed them this diet they do not have any more vomiting or diarrhea.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I would not give any type of drug. Like the others, this is a natural process and these medications will suppress what she is feeling at the moment, but hinder the natural process of her body fighting and trying to heal from this sickness, if she has it. Just try to soothe her as best as possible and give her plenty of fluids. My daughter and I are weird, but milk helps soothe our stomachs when they are upset, or there is always chicken broth, or some type of bread or toast, banana, rice, or tea. Although, toddlers may be resistant to drink tea right now.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

thanks for the replies.... i ended up not giving her any pepto because i just didn't feel right about it.... i'm going to definitely be sticking with the mild diet for her right now with the rice, breads, crackers, etc....

she actually hasn't thrown up since that tiny little bit at 4 this morning, so i really am hoping this is just a teething thing.... her temp is up to 103 now but that is her only symptom.... well, she has a fever and she is chewing on more things than usual!

she always runs a fever when she is cutting teeth, so it's hard to know if she is sick or just cutting teeth!

with those of you who've been through the stomach virus with your kids, did it start out with one tiny episode of throwing up and then come back later with a vengance, or did it start big and stay big? my husband is deployed, i'm pregnant, i have another daughter, and i am TERRIFIED of the stomach virus that is hitting all over the place (i don't deal well with throw up!).

thanks!

Last edited by mcr285; 02-12-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User

My daughter had this wierd stomach virus.

I actually took her to the doctor because she had a really bad cold for a week and then started spiking a fever.

The doctor check her ears, nose, throat and said all was clear. She then listend to my daughters tummy and looked at me and said "It's her stomach. She has a virus".

About 1 hour after we got home, the vomiting and diarrah started and lasted for about 4 days. Not much of either, but enough to make things interesting around my house for a few days.

The doctor said that this type of stomach virus is starting out like a cold, then fever, then the stomach part. All together, she was sick about 2 weeks.

Good luck and I truely hope it is teething. Sounds like you DO NOT need sickness around right now.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
(female)

worm HB User

You could give her a little gravol just to settle her stomach. Always worked with my kids. They seem to feel better if the virus came out the bum then up through the mouth.

Closed Thread