It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

2grlz1boy HB User
Nearly 15 month old not walking or talking??

My daughter will be 15 months old on 2-26-08 and she is not walking or talking, she crawls well she pulls up she can stand with no support but she will not walk. Also she is not saying any words. she babbles and points and interacts but no actual words. I do ont suspect autism (neither does the Dr.) simply because she is so interactive with her 4 yr old sister and 2 yr old brother, she loves to be cuddled and play with others, she is constantly smiling and 100% happy.

My other two children both were running by their 1st birthday (first steps for them both was 11 months old)
However they both did not speak for a while, my oldest actually had speach therepy for 1 yr.

I should also mention my little one does not have a pacifier but she does suck her two middle fingers when she sleeps...

Last edited by 2grlz1boy; 02-15-2008 at 10:02 AM.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User
Re: Nearly 15 month old not walking or talking??

My son didn't walk until a little over 14 months old. So you're daughter isn't much older than that. It's hard to not compare when you've had older ones that reached certain milestones much earlier.

Does she have a push-walker to on to?

As far as talking goes...it might just be because she had older siblings around talking for her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

My daughter was the same. She started walking at 15 months old and when she did she walked perfectly. We have since discovered that this is her personality. She won't try things until she believes she will do them well. She wasn't talking much either at that time and we discussed this in front of her at her doctor's appt. She went home that night and spoke 10 different words! She must have listened to us and thought "oh, they want me to speak!". Her speech was also perfect. Her f's came out as "s" but otherwise perfect. My second child started speaking very early but she needed an interpreter! (Myself or her sister).

Old 02-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
(female)

2grlz1boy HB User

Thank you both, I have noticed that she is really cautious, but get this, she can go up and down our stairs with ease. She just seems to be afraid of falling when she is standing....

The talking thing could be because of the other two, they are constantly rambling on she seems content to just listen.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

She sounds like my daughter was! She took her first steps at 14 months and although she babbled a lot, she didn't say many (if any) actual words. She was just very shy and reserved. She was also in daycare at the time and they told me that she would always play alone or just sit back and watch the other kids...she was just very quiet and observant. Soon after she began walking she started showing me that she understood simple sentences...such as "go get your coat...or pick out your shoes" etc. She is also a very cautious little person so I think that had a lot to do with her walking late. She was standing on her own at an early age but it was taking those steps that freaked her out. Now she is almost 2 and she speaks quite well and says lots of things that make sense to me I think she just has my personality...she's very quiet/observed until she gets used to a person, then her outgoing personality comes out!

I think it's around 18 months you should be concerned if your child is not walking (at least I read) b/c it could mean something may be wrong with their back I think it was. If she is standing on her own and pulling herself up I wouldn't worry. She is probably just a little nervous and sounds very cautious

Old 02-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

TXChica70 HB User

I don't think you have anything to worry about. My son didn't say his first word until he was 20 months. We learned he was having difficulty hearing due to chronic ear infections so we had tubes places in his ears at 2 years of age and this did seem to help but the delay in hearing has caused a delay in speech. Something time will cure.

I know to that girls tend to be a little more delayed than boys with the physical stuff so encourage her to walk and don't let her use one of the push walkers if she is. It's a heck a lot easier to get around crawling than walking so she's probably just using the easiest mode of transportation for her.

Closed Thread