It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
(female)

dawnmichael HB User
Hives turn to bruising

hi all. My daughter got a bout of hives last summer (she was 3). They were turning into bruises. Also, her knee joints were very swollen and red and hot.
I went to doc, they put her on steroids which immediately got rid of them. She had no other symptom. Played normal, normal appetite etc....

They ran some blood work to test for some autoimmune diseases and they all came back 'normal'. Doc said that there her white blood cells (i think it was white!) were off just a little and he thought it looked like a virus.

The hives came back a few weeks later. Went to the doc, more steroids and they had me contact an allergist.

Long story short, went to see him, he wanted to have a dermatologist do a biospy of a hive if they came back (no steroid could be used though). Hives didnt return until this february.

She is now 4, got a bout of them last month. her ankles were swollen a bit and i gave her benadryl and that seemed to take care of them! i talked to the allergist again and he said if benadryl is helping them then it must be an allergy of some sort. They were gone in 2 days.

Well, she woke up with them again (march 5). benadryl seems to be working, her knees are kinda swollen but she seems fine.

Has anyone else gone thru this? Any ideas what it could be? it just makes me sick NOT knowing what it could be!!!
thanks in advance

The Following User Says Thank You to dawnmichael For This Useful Post:
SVBryden (11-14-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User
Re: Hives turn to bruising

i'm sorry, i have no idea what it could be. my daughter got horrible hives once from her bubble bath, but it doesn't sound even close to the same thing.... is there anything in her diet that could be causing it? any new soaps, laundry detergent, cleaners? i know in my area right now they are spraying chemical fertilizer stuff everywhere (where they look like they're painting the grass green), and my neighbor's kid is allergic to that stuff..... his eyes get all swollen when he's out in it. could it be anything like that?

my main thought as i read your post was to tell you to be sure you get a hard copy of every single test result they have for her. i've been told at least a gazillion times over the years that my bloodwork was "normal" only to see the paper copy and find out that certain counts are in fact NOT normal but the lab didn't think it was significant enough to point out! turns out i've always been a little anemic and it gets worse from time to time.... so make sure you see the results for yourself!

i sure hope you can figure out what is causing the hives soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
(female)

dawnmichael HB User

thank you for your response!! i will go up and get a hard copy of all the tests today! shes still got the hives this morning, but the benadryl is working pretty good. gets rid of most but some still popping up.

ive been keeping a strict diary of everything! everything she puts in her mouth, soaps, etc.... im pretty boring, i dont change anything much so im trying really hard to figure out if i had.
thanks again!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

one other thing that just came to my mind..... my little one has always used pampers diapers and pampers wipes (she is two now, has been using pampers since about 6 months old), but all of a sudden in the last month or so, she started having a weird reaction to them.... she broke out in a weird diaper rash that didn't go away until i switched diaper brands.

and when my first broke out into hives from the strawberry bubble bath, that was after we had been using the bubble bath for a couple of months. soooo, it could be a reaction to something you have been using for awhile that she is just now reacting to.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
(female)

dawnmichael HB User

wow...how does a person nail it down then if there is an allergy in there somewhere?? its all so frustrating! at least she is acting normal though. playing and eating and such. but its still awful to look at.
Thank you SOOO much for your response!!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Dawn, when I was around 10 my knees swelled up and were hot and stuff for a period of less than a year I think. They never really found out what was going on. When I was in my early 20's my allergies started and I have quite a few of them. I started alternative treatment and he tested my gut flora. It came back pretty out of whack and the first thing that he said was that the Klebsiella pneumonia, which shouldn't be there, can cause joint problems (my knees never swelled again but were achy all my life). He treated me for this and cleared up the bad flora in my gut and my knees feel great for the first time in my life.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB User

Hi Dawn, one thing i need to ask you is, when your daughter gets this Hives rash, and swollen joints, does she get stiff joints, are they sore or hurting.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
(female)

alikat709 HB User

Hi , Are these HIves just on the backs of the legs and buttocks?? Do they break out and as the day goes on they start to bruise? My daughter had something that was viral when she was 8 yrs old . It was a viral infection that had to run its course. It was called henock schonlein purpura. Our pediatrician was in practice for over 50 yrs at the time and had never actually seen a case: but, he knew exactly what it was when we went. He did sent us for a biopsy that confirmed his dx.YOu might want to look that one up.
kathy

Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
(female)

liz1966 HB User

I'm a 41 year old woman that suffered from hives throughout my childhood. The doctors never figured out what it was caused from. My mom tried everything, changing laundry soap, limiting certin foods (the hardest was chocolate!) and I suffered through numerous applications of calmine lotion and baking soda baths. I always got them toward the end of Summer - beginning of Fall and they usually came after dinner time. They eventually went away as I entered the teen years but returned after the birth of my son. I swore having the hives was worse than all the pain of delivery! Nobody ever suggested benadryl until I mentioned the hives to my neighbor...it was a miracle! As soon as I feel one coming on I take a benadryl and can beat them to the punch. Last night I got a hive for the first time in at least a year. This morning I noticed on my leg where the hive was were many large bruises. I don't know if it's from me itching through my jeans or something else.

I guess my point is, your daughter has benedryl and if you can head off an episode at the first sign...that is the only thing that ever worked for me!

I wish you and your daughter health and happiness!!

Last edited by liz1966; 07-13-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Steroids and Benadryl do not fix the problem, they only suppress it. You need to try to treat this with natural means. Add oatmeal and cornstarch to baths. Make sure she is taking extra Vitamin C and Echinacea which is a excellent immune booster. (My daughter is two and I buy it in liquid form for her it is Herbs for Kids brand.) Medications/Drugs can also be a culprit for hives in addition to insect bites and stings and preservatives and chemicals that are added to our foods, this is why I try to tell people that organic food is important and better because you are not ingesting the dyes, preservatives, herbicides, pesticides, and other chemicals which effect the body is various ways, especially over time. You can apply real aloe vera to the area causing discomfort. You could also add some chamomile tea bags to a bath to help with the inflammation.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Here's how I see it. I have allergies, 364 days a year I manage them by eating right, exercising, minimizing stress, and avoiding stuff I am allergic to. About once per year, these means fail me, or I get exposed to something by accident, and I start swelling badly or breaking out in hives. If I take Benadryl within an hour of the first symptom, I'll be fine an hour after that. If not, I will suffer horribly for at least a week no matter what I do, and require a lot more drugs to calm things down.

I carry Benadryl in my pocketbook.

Steroids, now, those are risky and should be used only as a last resort.

Closed Thread