It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

Mom81 HB User
1 year old with Asthma

Hello,

My daughter turned 1 year old recently. Ever since she turned 8 months old, she’s been constantly sick with all kinds of upper respiratory illnesses. She’s had everything from cold, cough and fever to full blown bronchitis, laryngitis, recurring pneumonia etc. She has gained no weight in the last 4 months as she is constantly ill. She wheezes a lot and therefore is on Asthma medication. Her doctors believe she may have Asthma. She coughs so much and so bad that she vomits everything. Her wheezing and chest tightness is also very bad. She is incapable of getting over a minor cold and cough. It almost always leads to a major lung infection and inflammation. She is currently taking Albuterol through nebulizer and is also on some steroids.

She has gotten 5 regimens of antibiotics so far and multiple antibiotic shots. I have heard that overuse of antibiotics can lead to things like Asthma and Allergies. I found it a little too late and I have always trusted doctors’ judgment in the matter.

Is there anyone else here who is in the same boat as I? I am freaked out. Everyone wants a healthy child and to see her go through all this pain is not easy. She is only 1 and I don’t want her to have to deal with a lifetime of Asthma.

Can anyone please tell me if this is going to have long term impact on my daughter’s health and general lifestyle? Will she grow up having lung issues or a weak lung? Are these illnesses going to scar her lungs because she is always so sick with upper respiratory infections?

She has no teeth yet. A friend of mine said that not having teeth may be linked to her being sick all the time. Can this happen? She said that her sister had to get her gums sliced at 15 months in order for teeth to come out and they did that because she was always so sick. I called some Pediatric Dentists and they weren’t concerned about it at all.

My daughter was only breastfed for 2 months. I wonder if this is why she developed all the issues.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: 1 year old with Asthma

Has she been worked up for allergies?

Old 03-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Has she been tested for cystic fibrosis?

Old 03-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

What kind of environment is your daughter in? Did you smoke and if you do did you smoke while pregnant and after or does anyone else around the child?How clean is your home? Do you have pets? Often the environment can contribute to the health of your child. Try to feed her many fruits and vegetables, the body needs many vitamins and minerals and a healthy immune system because that is what helps the body fight off infections and sickness.

Antibiotics kill both the bad bacteria and the good bacteria in the body. You need good bacteria, so the antibiotics are killing those off too which compromise the immune system. Medications also contain chemicals and chemicals bring down the immune system too. Never take a doctors word on anything, you always need to research anything you put into your body or your childs body. Try giving your daughter some probiotics to promote regrowth of the good bacteria. You can find them in some yogurts in the grocery, they will be labeled accordingly.

Not breastfeeding longer than 2 months is NOT the cause of this. I did not breastfeed at all and I have the healthiest child I know.

The body has a great ability to heal itself, you just have to provide it the proper tools.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 03-14-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

I did go through something similar with my oldest child when he was a baby. He got his first "cold" when he was 2 1/2 months old. In his first year he also had everything that your daughter had....and more He too was on a nebulizer and prednisone. Through his toddler years he was sick very often. Back to the antibiotics, back to the nebulizer, back to the prednisone. Ironically, he never developed asthma....EVER. He would only have RAD when he was ill. (Reactive Airway Disease.) He is now 8. Very healthy. Shows some allergy type symptoms during certain times of the year that can be managed with OTC meds. I can't remember the last time he had to use a nebulizer.....maybe 4or 5.
Your daughter's fate may not be nailed with this at 1 years old. The things you have done with her where things you were told at the time. Please don't punish yourself. Her outcome with illness might of been the same reardless of what you did.
I personally have never heard the later erruption of teeth could cause illness.
Breastfeeding is certainly NOT the issue.
Keep your chin up. Like my son, this all may resolve. Good luck and kisses to your baby girl.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I am sorry to hear about your baby's health. I can't imagine how stressed you are. May I ask if she is in daycare? I feel that sometimes these sicknesses are inevitable when you have a child in daycare. It is that time of year - the colds, flu, infections, etc.

It has nothing to do with you not breastfeeding. Don't feel bad about that. I only breastfed for about 2 months as well and my son is rather healthy. However, he is not in daycare. The few times he has gone to a sitter (and was around other kids) he did get sick. I have not worked the past 6 weeks and he is fine. I am lucky that I have a flexible schedule.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
(female)

hjjasnell HB User

My son was sick a lot when he was under a year old just like your daughter. He was diagnosed with asthma when he was 6 months old, a month later he was admitted to the hospital for RSV and spent two weeks in an isolation room. He's now three and has a nebulizer treatment of Pulmicort once a day and Albuterol as needed. He's also on Singulair for allergies. He's allergic to hay, pollen, dust, smoke, the usual asthma triggers along with insects (mosquitoes and ants to be specific). Even though he takes medications and has allergies it doesn't affect him in the least. He runs around just fine, gets colds like his big brother (he actually didn't get the flu just recently when everyone else in the household got it!), is a typical little boy. So don't worry about how it will affect her if she is indeed diagnosed with asthma. You learn to live with it. You get used to giving them their treatments everyday. If you have ANY questions please feel free to ask. I've been through it all with him and have learned a lot about asthma in a young child. She'll be just fine though. Don't blame yourself!

Old 03-16-2008, 05:38 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear of your baby's issues. Its a terrible feeling to watch your child suffer like that. The helpless feeling you have is just awful, I know.

There is a book out there that is just fabulous on this topic. It called
"Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies." It is written by Kenneth Bock, M.D., and Cameron Stauth.

I can't recommend this book enough. It talks about the ROOT CAUSES and how to treat these things, rather than how to suppress the symptoms. It also reads like a novel, so not too science-y and pretty easy to understand.

I hope and pray you'll think about reading it. Again, I know what a terrible feeling it is to cope with a chronically sick baby. God bless you and hang in there.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kitty,
Thanks for the recommendation, I always look for the root of the problem instead of treating the symptoms. I am going to check this book out!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i went through the same kind of stuff with my first daughter from about the time she was two months old until she was about 14 months. she was on antibiotics, steroids, breathing treatments (nebulizer), inhalers, you name it, she took it! and she kept getting worse. the doctor told me she had RAD, which would eventually lead to asthma.

what i had a hard time figuring out was how my daughter's body would ever learn how to fight the disease if she was always on medication that would fight the disease for her.... so i decided to take my daughter off of all the medications except for the otc meds that would help her sleep at night (we gave her nyquil at bedtime). i memorized the signs of what signaled an emergency with her wheezing and i watched her closely.

when she was on the medicines, she usually got over a bad respiratory illness within a week.... but they always came back worse the next time, which was always about a week (two at the most) later. when i took her off the medicines and let her body learn to fight, it took her at least two weeks to start getting better. but it took her a little longer to catch the next respiratory illness, and she got over it faster. the next one took her even longer to catch, and was even shorter in duration....

she is four now and hasn't used a nebulizer or steroids since she was around 14 months old, and she never catches bad respiratory illness anymore either.... she hasn't had one since i decided to take her off the medications! she'll still get colds now and then, but it never gets any worse than that, and she is almost always over it in three days or less.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

One of my little daughters was always sick with upper respiratory infections as well as ear infections. Finally the doctor gave her gammagloblin. This pulled her out and then she was only sick like like a normal child. Apparently she was borderline on having enough of her own to fight off illness.

This may or maynot be a help to your daughter. Something to ask your doctor about.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI

Is your child in daycare? I know someone else asked this but if so, you may need to think of alternative type of childcare.

My baby was in daycare from 4.5 months old until 14 months. He was chronically sick, with one ear infection after another, colds, chest stuff. They wanted to do tubes so I pulled him out and took the summer off from work ( I;m a teacher) and he was fine. As soon as he started back, within 2-3 days sick and remained sick, getting worse and worse until I finally pulled him out for good. He is now home with me. He has not been sick since and his ears have been clear. It took 3 rounds of antibiotics for the ears to clear up. Since then nothing. We even traveled almost 1000 miles by car for the holidays and was around tons of people, kids and he did fine. It is something about daycare environments that just don't agree with some kids. Mine was 4 weeks preemie so I don't know if that makes a difference in immune system. I also quit breastfeeding early due to med. complications and was convinced it was that causing him to get sick, i felt so guilty. now i realize it wasn't that at all but the daycare making him sick. I plan on keeping him home until he is older, maybe try pre-k.

good luck and i hope your baby gets better.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:17 AM   #13
(female)

violetsmom13 HB User

I know what it feels like to spend all your time so sick with worry about your little one. It spoils the good times. Have you ever heard of the connection between cow's milk allergies and respiratory infections, wheezing, etc..? I always thought that having a milk allergy meant that you have digestive troubles, but that is not always the case. As an experiment, we took our daughter off of milk in October after another ER visit due to pneumonia, wheezing, and asthma attack. She went all winter without serious illness. Two weeks ago I started giving her milk again out of fear she wasn't getting enough vitamin D. Sure enough, she got a cold and the doctor heard her wheezing two days ago. The allergy is to milk proteins, not just lactose. Something for you to look into! By the way, I breastfed for nine months, and my daughter still has these problems, so don't get hung up on that!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

You also have to keep in mind that with dairy products/milk the cows can be treated with a growth hormone so the produce more milk than they should, are vaccinated and given medications and fed feed that contains chemicals too. So these chemicals are all passed along to us too.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
(female)

Mom81 HB User

Hello and thank you everyone for the wonderful replies. I feel so much better to know that this is not that uncommon. I was freaking out that my daughter might have some serious immune disorder.

Sorry about the late response but i was too busy with everything that is going on right now. Thank you all very much!

I give her organic milk. She does take cow's milk now. She's always been on milk based formula (Nestle Good Start with DHA/ARA). We assumed milk should be fine. Also, they did a milk/egg allergy blood work and she was negative. I will still try to eliminate dairy to see if it makes a difference.

I will also read that book by Kenneth Bock. Hopefully, i'll find some valuable information that will change everything.

What are gammagloblin? I will ask my pediatrician. He did mention that if things do not improve that he'll try to test her for some immunoglobulins.

No, neither I nor my husband smoke. We have never smoked. I do not drink either. In fact, no one is our family including uncles, grand parents smoke. My daughter is at Knowledge Beginnings, which is a peatnut free and pet free environment. Our home is brand new, only 3 years old and i have a maid come in every 2 weeks to clean it. I also try to keep her toys clean. The house is always neat. I am thinking about buying a air purifier. However, most of the time she gets sick at the daycare because the toys are shared and she puts everything in her mouth. She still has no teeth.

We also live in Massachusetts. We get terrible winters here and this winter especially has been very bad.

I am so grateful to hear from moms and dads who have been through similar situation. Thank you for the support.

If you have also had a child who was always sick, do you remember if the child was a late teether? I am curious. Someone told me 50 years ago, they considered it to be related. Apparently, not anymore...

Thank you all.

Closed Thread