It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
(female)

mother72 HB User
5yr old can't break fever

My son is 5yrs old and for the last 3 days he has had a fever. I give him tylonol every 4-5 hours and he's good within that time, but then the fever goes back up. It won't go away. We live in Illinois and the weather one day is nice and the next cold. I try to keep him inside when the weather isn't good but all his friends are outside and he get mad. What to do ??

Old 03-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: 5yr old can't break fever

Tylenol only lasts about 4 hours. Ibuprofen lasts 6 -8 hours. His fever will go away once he is done fighting off the virus.

Last edited by Sannah; 03-30-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
(female)

mother72 HB User

He is allergic to Ibuptofen. He can only take Tylonol.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Mother72, how high is your childs fever? If it is below 100 degrees then I would not worry too much. Is he comfortable or kind of lethargic and sleepy? My sons when there fever is over 101 to 103.5 they are tired and very easy going, and they just want to be on the couch. I would just continue to treat the fever with tylenol. Until he gets rid of the virus he might have the fever, and the tylenol only masks it, it does not cure it.

If it is nice outside, and your son's fever is controlled by tylenol, and not too high, being outside might help him and he can get some fresh air.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

STOP giving him Tylenol. A fever is showing that the body is fighting infection, giving drugs inhibits the process and it isn't something that we should rely on. Tylenol contains chemicals therefore jeopardizes the immune system further. Drinking a lot of water, cool baths, rest/sleep, fruit are a few ways to relieve the fever naturally. Tylenol only suppresses the symptoms.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i agree with alexain2006. unless his fever is making him uncomfortable so that he cannot get comfortable and rest, i wouldn't give him anything for it. my girls get over illnesses much faster when i let their fevers run their course.

three days isn't unusual for a child to have a fever either. sometimes a fever can last a week or more off and on, depending on the cause. have him rest and take it easy and just let it run it's course. you might get him a board game you and he can play together, or a couple of new movies, or play dough.... something special you can do with him to help him not go out of his mind!!! it's hard having a sick child, i feel for you!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Our ped. says to give Tylenol only if the child is miserable and uncomfortable. You shouldn't give Tylenol unless it's at least 102.5. But if the child is 103 and seems to be functioning just fine, there's no need to medicate. Children can handle much higher temps. than adults can. If it's 104-105, then yes, it's I think you should get it down.

Our ped also wants to see children who have been running a fever with no other symptoms for three days. I don't rush them in there if there's a fever, runny nose, sore throat, etc. Then I just assume it's a virus that will run it's course. But when you've got those fever and nothing else is going on, then I do tend to take them in just to be safe.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
(female)

mother72 HB User
Unhappy Re: 5yr old can't break fever

Thank you for everybody's knowledge in this. I took him to the doctor's yesterday and he has bronchitis, and tonsillitis. He is on an antibiotiac and cough medicine, and an allergy medicine. NOW HE HAS DIARRIHA!! It never ends. It would be so bad if I was a stay at home mom. I'm hoping he'll be better in a couple of days.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother72 View Post
Thank you for everybody's knowledge in this. I took him to the doctor's yesterday and he has bronchitis, and tonsillitis. He is on an antibiotiac and cough medicine, and an allergy medicine. NOW HE HAS DIARRIHA!! It never ends. It would be so bad if I was a stay at home mom. I'm hoping he'll be better in a couple of days.
Try giving him probiotics for the diarreha. It helps put good bacteria back into the digestive tracts. There's a brand called Culturelle that is for infants and children, but you can use the adult kind as well. I got mine in the health food aisle at the grocery store. You just open up a capsule and pour the powder into a drink or a spoonful of applesauce or other food he likes.

Try keeping him off dairy for a while too. That aggrivates diarreha. Give him lots of bread, bananas, rice...complex carbs....crackers, potatoes, etc. Avoid lot of fruit juices as well.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread