It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

fofo08 HB User
Question Orthostatic hypotension in a 4 year old?

I'm new here and hope that I am posting in the right place. Today I got a call from my 4 yr. old son's school. They said he was pale, clammy,not feeling well and claiming that his chest hurt. When I got there he was fine. (I was not!). The teachers said that he was standing up playing at the lego table when he told another kid that he felt sick and that he could not see any more. The other child told the teacher who found him sitting on the floor. They tried to talk to him but he wouldn't respond. They moved him, got him some gatorade and he started to perk up and recover. He told them that during the episode, he could "only see black and a few sparkles" and that his heart hurt but he also pointed to his stomach. The teachers said he was white as a sheet, cool and very sweaty and that his lips were very blue. They kept stressing the blue lips. They were very freaked out. At first I thought cardiac, then blood suger but then he told me that he was putting the sheet on his cot (bending over) before he went to play at the lego table. He ate cereal, no milk, and drank some water ~ 3 hours earlier. He said he drank some water at school but refused snack and orange juice. So I guess he could have been a bit dehydrated too. I had bad orthostatic hypotension when I was an adolescent...blackouts, tremors, tight chest, etc. But this was puberty, not pre-K!
His EKG was normal today and we are being sent to a pedi neurologist to rule out a seizure. Our pedi thinks it might also be orthostatic hypotension but wants to be safe. I'm just a bit worried. He is only 4! What was so scarey was the teachers descriptions and how worried they were. They said that they have had kids have their sugers crash, but not lose their sight or have blue lips.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: Orthostatic hypotension in a 4 year old?

Sorry, I do not have any ideas but you are on the right path by getting this checked out. Sounds like so many different things.
Just wanted to let you know that I will be thinking of him and hope you both get some answers. How scary this must be for the little guy.
Best of luck.

Closed Thread