It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

vsmom HB User
3 yr old with weird red bumps/welts

HI. About a week ago my daughter started having these red bumps that turned into welts. They are all different and they change. Some look like hives, some welts some even pimples. And they move, sometimes they're worse on her face, sometimes her legs. They didn't itch until about 2 days ago.
Took her in and the doc says its contact dermatitis. I honestly can't think of a thing that I've changed so I'm wondering if it could be a spring allergy??? Neither my husband nor I have allergies so I'm stumped. Started giving her Benadryl which is helping but its not going away, in fact its getting worse by the day. Thoughts? Thanks!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User
Re: 3 yr old with weird red bumps/welts

it actually doesn't have to be something you've changed recently that could be causing this. my daughter broke out into horrible hives/welts in reaction to some strawberry bubble bath that we'd been using for at least 6 months! our doctor said sometimes it just takes that long for an allergy to develop.

it could also be something in the air she might be reacting to..... if there are any lawn companies around the neighborhood spraying fertilizer on the grass (painting it green), or bug sprayers, or anything else in the air (pollen, grass, etc....).

unfortunately it's might have to be a time of trial and error until you figure it out. i'd keep a log of her daily routine and activities.... keep track of when the hives seem better/worse and watch how they correlate with what she's doing/eating each day. hope this helps some!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
(female)

vsmom HB User

Thanks mcr.....they are worse than ever now but I realized that we had gotten new baby soap (Johnsons Oatmeal wash) and I have just recently started using laundry softener. I'm rewashing all of her clothes and hoping we can get rid of it. If it is either one of these, how long til they go away? We do get our lawn treated and so do my parents which is where we spend a lot of time. Very well could be the chemicals. This sucks! Thanks tho!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

with my daughter, the hives went away within about a week.... BUT, we were very fortunate that we figured out what the cause was right away. SOOOOO, unfortunately, that's where the trial and error comes in.

one other thing i remembered that broke my daughter our horribly was her new swimsuit last year (and i think the year before too). we hadn't washed them before she wore it and she broke out in hives from that too. her doctor said it could be from the dyes, or flame retardant, or..... so if your daughter has received any new clothes recently, or a new blanket, or anything like that.... something else to look at.

good luck! hopefully you'll figure it out soon!

Closed Thread