It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Anyone have a child (toddler) on liquid Clariton?

The pediatrician thinks my son (18 months) may have seasonal allergies. Out of nowhere he got a cough and it sounds like he has a scratchy throat as well. Of course, it could be a cold, but we are not sure. Anyhow, it was recommended we try Clariton, and just give him half the dosage that you would for a two year old.

We did the half dose today but didn't really notice a difference.

I am wondering how your children react to Clariton? Does it clear up runny noses and congestion? Does it take several days to kick in? Any advice on how we can tell the difference between a cold and allergies?

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User
Re: Anyone have a child (toddler) on liquid Clariton?

i occasionally put my kids on claritin for allergies, and it usually takes at least couple of days to see any difference in them.

the color and consistency of the snot is usually the easiest way to tell a cold from allergies. allergy snot is usually clear and runny, while if it's a cold, the snot is more yellow and thicker.... that being said, you didn't mention if your son had a runny nose.... other allergy indicators would be itchy red watery eyes, itchy throat, sneezing.... and if all his symptoms get worse being outdoors you can definitely chalk it up to allergies.

as a side note, i highly recommend the generic brand of claritin, it's a lot cheaper than the real stuff and it works just as well. hope he gets better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

My dr gave that to my daughter when she was about 21 mo but it was from the pharmacy and it tasted awful they told me to put it in a drink for her but she could taste I could taste it I still have it and she has allergies but I cant get the stuff in her.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Yes, he does have a runny, clear nose. Not too much sneezing and I haven't noticed red eyes. The cough and runny nose seems to be the biggest two symptoms right now. Sleeping at night has been rough. He wakes a lot from not being able to breath and from the cough, which makes me wonder if it is a cold.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Denise, I just have a syringe and I squirt it in my son's mouth.

Last edited by KeltoKel; 04-26-2008 at 04:27 AM.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

I have used the (generic) liquid clariton as well for both of my girls (22 months and 6 years). It does take a couple of days for me to see a difference in them as well, but it has worked the best for them with their allergies. Like me, they have horrible seasonal allergies.

My 22 month old gets that cough at night, and it's usually caused by the drip in the back of her throat from the constant clear runny nose. Just like you I thought it was a cold, but I did just as your doctor said and there has been a huge improvement.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

when my daughters wake from being unable to breathe at night, i put mentholatum under their noses, right around their nostrils, and also on their chests and it clears them right up. you can also give him benadryl at night to help him sleep. and put him at an incline to sleep too. sure hope he feels better!

Last edited by mcr285; 04-26-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
(female)

felix61379 HB User

Give it 1 to 2 weeks. I was about to give up with the Clariton after about 1 week. The nurse at the office suggested I wait another couple days, and it soon began to work. It takes about a week to see the results, but it helped a lot once it started working!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
(female)

violetsmom13 HB User

Do you think the chewable tablets are as effective? My two year old likes the taste, but I've only been using them for a couple days.

Closed Thread