It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #1
(male)

chiefan58 HB User
How to get rid of child's warts? Please help!!

My 7 year old son has had many warts on one hand for several years now. If I remember correctly, it started out as one or two on his pinky finger. They have really grown and spread. His one pinky is nearly totally consumed with warts, including one partially under the finger nail. He also now has them on every finger on that hand and one in his palm as well. We have taken him in to his pediatrition for this twice. The first time he suggested using a nail file as much as he would allow, then putting some otc wart remover on it and covering it up with duct tape for a week at a time. That didn't really do anything. The second time the dr attempted to freeze them off. It looked like it was going to work, but within a week or two, they're growing again. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
(female)

bleigh HB User
Re: How to get rid of child's warts? Please help!!

I know this sounds crazy as I was very skeptical of this remedy myself until I tried it. I've suffered with warts for many years having them surgically removed, frozen, and the OTC remedies. Recently I wanted to get rid of a couple warts off my hand and bought the OTC freeze off. I got a little concerned about using it and looked up some natural remedies. So, I tried vinegar...plain white vinegar. Apparently you can use apple vinegar too, but all I had was white. I can't tell you how quickly the warts were gone. I was so proud I showed my whole family. My sister who had a HUGE wart on her finger for many years did the vinegar removal and it got rid of the wart. She has tried OTC stuff too and they didn't work. Here's how to do it....

Can do this in the evening before bedtime.
1.take a piece of cotton (just enough to cover the wart) and soak it in the vinegar
2.Put the soaked cotton on the wart and cover with bandaid or bandage tape.
3.Leave on overnight.
4.Take it off in the morning. You can go the day without the vinegar and bandaid
5.Repeat the process until all the root is dead and gone.

The wart may start to turn black as soon as the first day after application. It could take a little longer but the wart will start to die quickly. My warts were gone within a week (two were gone in 2 days) and my sisters huge wart was gone in just over a week. If his skin is sensitive around the wart from the vinegar, you can take a little vaseline and put on the skin but not on the wart. This will help protect the skin from the acidity of the vinegar.

This method is great for kids as the vinegar is not toxic. Also this is not something he has to apply during the day while he is at school or at other activities. I hope this works for your little one...

OH, this also works for plantar warts too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
(male)

chiefan58 HB User

Haven't tried that. Will give it a shot. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
(male)

chiefan58 HB User

It stayed on about an hour and then he started crying and saying that it was stinging. I tried to convince him the pain would go away and to just leave it on until morning. He couldn't take it anymore, so we removed it. Any other ideas?

Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
(female)

bleigh HB User

I can't imagine anything over the counter would feel much better as they are all acidic. Did you use a piece of cotton just large enough to cover the wart? If the the cotton is too big it will irritate the skin around it. Using vaseline to cover skin around the wart may help with the stinging...if you didn't try this the first time. It may sting the wart a little bit, but it shouldn't hurt badly enough to bring tears. Of course little one's skin is probably more sensitive than an adults...maybe you could try diluting the vinegar with water - maybe 1/3 water 2/3 vinegar. It might work. Don't really have anything else to suggest. I hope you find something for him as I know how awful it is to have warts.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
(female)

tetianainto HB User

i have heard that duct tape works on warts. crazy, i know, but why not try it? you just wrap up the finger for a few days. it can't hurt and i did hear that it works. c

Old 05-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
(female)

bleigh HB User

The way duct tape works is that it cuts out the air supply to the wart. The awful part of doing this type of treatment is that the tape has to stay on constantly and for about 1 week to a month. That's kind of hard to do when you're a kid especially when the problem is on the hands. Playing and washing would make the tape fall off. You'd also have to deal with the treatment from other kids as they may think it's weird to have your hands covered in duct tape (of course, they could think it's pretty cool too).

I tried this method before and it was too much of a pain to even bother with and definitely didn't work as fast as the vinegar. But, you could give it a try...who knows, it may be the best solution.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

The duct tape does work. My husband did that for one on the bottom of his foot. It was actually a couple of them that formed a very large one. It did take about a month, but it did work.
We tried the duct tape on my 7 yr, but it was difficult and would come off easier than on the bottom of a foot. I am very excited about the vinegar!!!!! We tried it last night and he wasn't bother by it. It certain is a more of a humane treatment to the OTC methods. We tried the "freeze off" and let me just say that was one of the most difficult things to do as a parent. Thank you for the vinegar tip!!!!!!! My son thanks you too.

Last edited by meechieny; 05-03-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
(female)

bleigh HB User

I'm so glad you tried the vinegar!! It's wonderful in that it works quickly and that you only have to do it at night. I remember having the doctor do the freezing method and it was horribly painful...that's why I couldn't go through with doing the OTC freeze off. Post back in a few days and let us know if it's working as well for you as it did for me!!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 AM   #10
(female)

tinkywinky HB User

My son had a huge wart in his finger when he was 3, i couldnt really use any wart remedies becasue he was so little and still had his fingers in his mouth all the time. A pharmacist recommended as homeopathic remedy. I was very sceptical but got it anyway since worse casde scenario it just wont work, its safe to take, and his wart cleared up within two weeks. I was very surprised, but thats what worked for him!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Tea tree oil or oil of oregano can remove warts too. They kill off the fungi that produces the warts. As with apple cider vinegar you need to only put the solution directly on the wart and not the rest of the skin around it. Apple cider vinegar also removes moles too. Give the mole a little scratch with a pumice stone so the vinegar can absorb better and after a couple of days the mole will dry up and hopefully flake off. Trying something natural first is the best solution, but be patient. You can do an internet search on tea tree oil, oil of oregano, or apple cider vinegar for wart removal.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
(female)

ericanicole25 HB User

All of these natural wart solutions sound interesting...I'm sure they're successful with time.

I've tried the duct tape on my son; it seems to work, but it's impossible to keep it on him for long enough to be fully effective.

Compound W liquid, which is just 17% salicylic acid, applied twice a day and then covered with a bandage (you need to soak the wart in warm water for 5 mins first) got rid of my son's wart in a week. It was a really big one too! Just be very careful to not get any of the liquid on the surrounding skin because it causes minor blistering. I use small corn cushions to make sure that the liquid doesn't get on the surrounding skin. I put them around the wart, then apply the liquid directly to it.

I know it's best to try natural remedies first, but if you want to get rid of the wart quickly and painlessly, try the salicylic acid.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #13
(female)

bleigh HB User

Not to sound argumentative, but the vinegar worked much faster for me and the other people I know who've tried it. And it is much less harsh and scarring is minimal. The OTC stuff took longer or didn't work for everyone. Obviously it does work or people wouldn't still use it, but I've had warts in the past that it wouldn't touch and had to have doctor remove it. My sister's wart was gigantic and the OTC didn't work at all. When she tried the vinegar it was gone in a little over a week...and this was with nightly use only. I'm sure I sound defensive or crazy about this method, but for someone who suffers with this regularly I'm so glad to have a safe, natural way to get rid of warts.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
(female)

ericanicole25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleigh View Post
Not to sound argumentative, but the vinegar worked much faster for me and the other people I know who've tried it. I'm sure I sound defensive or crazy about this method, but for someone who suffers with this regularly I'm so glad to have a safe, natural way to get rid of warts.
Don't worry about sounding argumentative...to each their own.

Perhaps I'll try the vinegar next time my son gets a wart (he's had a few over the past while) because natural remedies are obiviously less harsh and this is important, especially for little ones.

Do you know if the vinegar works on flat warts as well? Or is it just for common warts?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
(female)

bleigh HB User

It should work on all of them. Works great for plantar warts too!!

Closed Thread