It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Ugh ~ he figured out how to get out of the crib!

My 18 month old son scared the you-know-what out of me this morning when I heard his feet come down the hallway and into my bedroom. Yes, he got out of his crib on his own! During nap time this afternoon, he got out once again, but this time he fell and hurt himself. I was afraid he had broken something.

I am wondering that some of you have done in this situation. I do not feel my son is ready for a toddler bed. He still wakes at night and is into everything. Does anyone use a crib tent? I am thinking we need to get one. Any advice?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Ugh ~ he figured out how to get out of the crib!

Once they start escaping, they won't give up, just hurt themselves trying.

I think my mother went with a mattress on the floor as soon as I started escaping on a regular basis--and I was a little younger than that. She claims I climbed out of the crib and UP THE DRESSER one night shortly after being put down for bed. She wasn't sure which was more startling--walking in and not being able to find baby in bed or on the floor, or finding baby standing up, practically eye to eye, on top of the furniture.

My brother, never learned to escape. He was well past two by the time Mom realized he was never going to bother and put him out of the crib.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

my niece went through a phase once where she was escaping all the time, probably around 16-18 months.... my mom heard her one day at naptime, and went in and caught my niece in the act and just started telling her NO NO NO DANGER DANGER DANGER, over and over again, and gave her this huge lecture about climbing and falling and getting owies and my niece never climbed out of her crib again and my sister actually kept her in the crib until she was three years old! you might try a good firm mean lecture.... at 18 months old, they do understand a lot more than we give them credit for!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
(female)

bleigh HB User

I moved my oldest to a mattress on the floor when she was 15 months. She got out of her crib and crashed onto the floor. Scared the mess out of me and I moved her that night to the mattress. She stayed on the mattress for about 3 months and then moved her to a regular bed with rails. She never fell off her big girl bed. I did the same thing with my second daughter.

If your son has already figured he can get out of the crib, just go ahead and get him a toddler bed. Be ready for it to take some time for him to get used to it. You may have to do some reprimanding early on about staying in the bed as he will be testing his new "freedom". These transitions can be a little difficult for little ones, but it shouldn't take too long and at least you know he won't be falling at a height were he can get hurt.

If you're worried about him getting out of his room you can put a baby gate in his doorway and doorknob protectors on the doors you don't want him to go through...like the bathroom.

Last edited by bleigh; 05-03-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

MCR - I have been waiting to catch my son in the act and I haven't been able to. He is sneaky! I sat in the room next to him yesterday during nap time waiting for the great escape, but he didn't attempt it. When I thought he was sleeping and walked away, that was when he attempted it.

I don't feel he is ready for a mattress on the floor yet or a toddler bed. He won't even sleep in bed with me - he is a crib sleeper only. I know he would be all over his room and that scares me as well too.

I ordered a crib tent on-line and hope to get it soon. I am wondering if anyone has used the tent.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i've never even heard of a crib tent before.... so no opinions there....

another thing my mom suggested (we were talking about moving my daughters to a bunkbed and how to keep my youngest off the top bunk) is to put your son (she was suggesting for my daughter, but it's the same concept) on top of the crib rail, as if he's climbing out, and "drop" him. obviously don't let him hit the floor or get hurt, but let him come close enough that it scares the crap out of him, and you act scared and then give him the lecture of climbing out can make you fall down and get ouchies (or boo boos, or owies, or whatever you call them). then very firmly tell him no climbing!!! my mom said she did something like this with my brother and it worked for him.

otherwise, i'd definitely invest in a baby gate to at least keep him confined in his room, and baby proof as much as you can so that he can't hurt himself when he does get up. i'd try scaring him out of climbing first though (even if the crib tent thing does work, if he's learned how to get out of the crib, chances are he'll figure out a way around the tent too.... BUT, i don't know anything about crib tents or how they work, so maybe not). ANYWAY.... good luck with it!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
(female)

bondgrll HB User

Crib tents are great and I have used them for all 3 of my boys....until about 2 and a half. They love the tents and learned how to zip themselves up. Try and get the deluxe version because some smart babies know how to UNZIP themselves and the deluxe model has the lining on the inside as well. Good luck....

Old 05-12-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

It seems boys are notorious for climbing out of their crib. So many moms I talked to told me their boys did it but not their girls.

I ordered a crib tent and hope to get it this week. I have done the lecturing but whenever something is new, children are known to keep doing it. I really got firm with him the last time he climbed out - telling him NO and how dangerous it is.

I wish I could get a toddler bed, but my son still wakes (sometimes several times) a night. Last night he woke at 2 a.m., 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. Sometimes he is up at 6 a.m. but thank goodness he went back to sleep this morning until 8 a.m. (that never happens!). So he would always be getting out of bed and I am just not going through that right now.

Closed Thread