It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Crib to toddler bed for 18 month old...advice?

Ok, I tried the crib tent and it didn't fit my sleigh crib. What a pain that was.

So, we literally removed the bottom rails that hold the crib mattress and have the mattress sitting on the floor with the crib around it. Well, believe it or not, my son STILL climbs out of his crib. His chin comes up to the top of the crib, but yet, he still manages to walk his legs up and get out of the crib. His middle name should be daredevil. UGH!

I have no choice but to take the crib rail off (it is a convertible 4 in 1 crib) and make it a toddler bed with a rail. I just know, however, my son is not ready for this. He took awhile to go to sleep last night, and he was up from 4-5 a.m. this morning for no reason at all! Just up and trying to crawl out of his crib.

I know he is going to be up and around his room all morning and night and we will all be losing sleep. I am not looking forward to this, but I can't risk him falling out of his crib and breaking a bone.

I am going to have to bolt all furniture to the walls, lock all drawers, and put a gate across his doorway (I am sure he will climb this too!). This should be interesting.

I am wondering what tips there are for keeping an 18 month old boy in a toddler bed. I don't see it working (I can't keep him in a crib!), but I have no idea where to start with this! I need support and advice. I am still so sleep deprived since he isn't the best sleeper, I just see his sleeping habits getting worse with the new bed.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
(male)

chiefan58 HB User
Re: Crib to toddler bed for 18 month old...advice?

All kids are different. A couple of mine thought it was cool to go to a toddler bed feeling they had more freedom. The other two were always playing in there room until they fell asleep. (usually on the floor) We did exactly what you suggested...removed anything they could hurt themselves on or break and put a gate up. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know, they make these covers for doorknobs, not sure what they're called, but when they're on the door, the only way to open it is to squeeze the cover a certain way as you turn the knob. It's not hard for an adult to open, unless you have arthritis in your hands, but for a toddler it's impossible.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
(male)

chiefan58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
You know, they make these covers for doorknobs, not sure what they're called, but when they're on the door, the only way to open it is to squeeze the cover a certain way as you turn the knob. It's not hard for an adult to open, unless you have arthritis in your hands, but for a toddler it's impossible.
Those worked for awhile, but kids are so smart! They quickly learned that if they hit them in the middle with a toy they would fall off. Not sure if they have changed the design, but I was shocked that a 2 year old could learn how to circumvent those.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

When I saw it, it was on the door to the basement in a house inhabited by a 4 year old, and she hadn't worked around it yet. Of course, she also seemed to understand that she wasn't to go in the basement alone, because it was dangerous.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I am not worried about the door, etc. We have proofed the room and now he is crying in his room. I keep telling him to "lay down" and he laughs at me and gets back up. He doesn't understand his new bed is for sleeping. Do I just let him run around his room and cry until he falls asleep? I mean, I can't keep him in his crib b/c he will climb out, but yet, he won't stay in his new bed.

I talked to someone I knew tonight and they told me when they did the switch, their child stayed in bed - he was much older than my son at the time.

I would like to hear from people who had problems with this transition and what they did specifically to make it go smoother.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
(female)

beachlovr HB User

Have you ever watched the SuperNanny on TV? She has an excellent "stay in bed/go to sleep" technique. I used it on my son when he kept crawling out of his "packnplay" on vacation one summer. IT WORKED!!! You have to be dedicated to making it work and follow all her steps. If you want the steps I can post them here. Just let me know.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Yes, beachlover, I would love to know the steps. How old was your son when you used it for the pack and play? I must have put my son in his bed 50 times last night (no kidding) until I just closed the door and left him to cry. When I went back in 10 minutes later, it was in his bed sleeping. Wow, how lucky!

However, when he woke at 3 a.m. - there was no getting him back into bed. He screamed and cried. For the first time ever, I brought him to bed with me. I don't want to start that habit, but after being awake from 3-4 a.m., I was so tired and needed to get some rest.

Closed Thread