It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User
Night terrors or nightmares in 18 month old?

Recently, my dd is waking about 3-4 hours after we put her to bed crying and I think having either night terrors or nightmares.
Just the other night, she was crying out "no, no, no, etc...", cried a little more and then settled down and was fine.
I don't know why this started all of a sudden or if it's typical of this age?
Anyone else go through this?
Any advise on how to help her not have this or help her during her cries?
Thanks/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
(female)

BusyNavyWife HB User
Re: Night terrors or nightmares in 18 month old?

18 months seams a little young for night terrors, but I'm not sure.

My (then) 4 year old had them for a while and they were triggered by changes in routine. She would cry and shake and mumble things, but NEVER would respond to me. I'd cuddle her, rock her, sing to her, say soothing things, and not once did she ever know I was there. She's just continue to shake and cry. Once her schedule was back to normal, everything stopped.

You said your daughter is usually asleep for a few hours before these "episodes" starts. And you said sometimes it's something small like "no no no" and she's back to sleep? If itwere my child, I'd assume she's dreaming about something that happened that day. Maybe she was dreaming about you taking away her favorite toy to put it in the washer, or a spat with another toddler. Maybe she was dreaming about you trying to feed her something she didn't really want, or you ending time at the playgroud too soon.

Again, if it were my children, I wouldn't worry. As long as you're able to soothe her right back to sleep she's prob. not remembering any of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
(female)

going2thebeach1 HB User

My son is 2.5 and he has been having nightmares since he's been about 18 months (maybe a little older). Sometimes he just cries and shakes and nothing that I do helps. Like the last poster said, I don't think he even knows that I'm there. I usually just rub his back and he eventually settles down. This usually happens within an hour of him falling asleep. These episodes seem more like night terrors.
Other times, he has just "regular" nightmares. He'll be semi-awake and say things like, "Don't take me away from my mommy" or "I don't want the monster to get me." When this happens, I just tell him that everything is alright and we talk about it. Sometimes he says the funniest things when he's sleeping. One night he yelled out, "I want my muffins!" I just thought that was so funny. He couldn't remember the dream the next morning. I would have loved to know what it was all about.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

Thanks for sharing. I have just taken to going up and soothing her back down. She's having more trouble going to sleep on her own at bedtime too which makes me wonder if she's afraid to go to sleep because she knows she could have nightmares. Not sure.
Thanks.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
(female)

dannysmom HB User

Is she on any meds?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

My daughter when through a phase of night terrors as that same age and I asked for help in this board too. About an hour or so after falling asleep she would wake up screaming and the more I tried to help her the worse it got. I just dealt with it and had much stress as that time. It was difficult to wake her up.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
(female)

Hyper86 HB User

I don't have any kids, but I remember things from very early childhood.
Like if I would see a scary picture in a magazine of a werewolf I would have bad dreams about it that night.
The snake scene in junglebook scared the hell out of me & gave me bad dreams.
Maybe your kids saw something on TV or in a book to that scared them & gave them scary thoughts.
Some fairy tales are really scary, like Hancel & Gretal, Jack & the Beanstock ect.

Sorry your kids are fearfull & I hope things get better.
Carole

Closed Thread