It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
(female)

jeanne30 HB User
recurring tummy problems in 6-year-old

hello,
help!! does anyone have any suggestions please????
I have been trawling the web for months now to try to get some idea of what might be causing this!!
my son of 6 has been having bouts of tummy upsets for the last 10 months.
it goes like this-
starts with mild pain in belly button area on day 1, a few episodes during the day, increasing to severe pain, which lasts from 5- 20 mins several times during the day by the end of a week-ish. Often these symptoms are a few mins after eating, but not always; sometimes severe enough to wake him in the night. On the last day he is sick and can't keep anything down, and just lately has produced lots of bile. This happens in cycles lasting 1 - 3 weeks in between episodes.
We live in England, he has been admitted to hospital 6 months ago where tests have been done - blood, ultrasound, barium x-ray to no avail. Still under care of paed, but have drawn a blank.
I have kept an extensive food diary and cannot find a link, although recently thought eggs and fat content (thinking gall bladder)were the cause, but after a week on fat-free diet, the pain came back.
Have considered psychological factors - school, outings etc but having two older children, and also working with children, I am ruling this out.
Also, when he is not having these pains, he is a normal, active, healthy boy!
Some history:
always been a sicky child from birth, possibly reflux
been in hosp twice due to gastroenteritis(?) / dehydration
has had endless bouts of sickness during toddlerhood (thought these were viruses but now thinking this may be all connected)
Recently seen a cranial osteopath who thought it might be gall bladder so awaiting more tests.
Coeliac, crohns in extended family

If anyone has had similar or has any suggestions, these would be most welcome!
Thanks vey much, from a very concerned Mum!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User
Re: recurring tummy problems in 6-year-old

The two worst offenders are dairy (and in some cases wheat) and non-stop eating.

Have him have only three meals a day, possibly with a fourth meal between lunch (midday) and supper (dinner) consisting of a little fruit, if he tolerates fruit.

Here is a possible eating plan for him. You could introduce this plan after one or two days of vegetable soup only, if and only if he likes soup. The soup regimen will allow his digestory system a period of rest and recovery.

Breakfast > a warm beverage (tea, if he likes tea, or cacao with 1/5 milk and 4/5 water), toast (if no gluten intolerance) and some cold cutting/meat (ham). If gluten intolerance, use gluten-free.

Lunch and dinner> potatoes or white rice; his favourite cooked veggies (let him try some grated carrots, too); meat, chicken or fish; a little dessert (fruit jam, dark chocolate); water.

Snack (two hours before dinner, if hungry and if tolerates fruit): some raw fruit (a quart of an apple, of a pear, a handful grapes, cherries...)

Teach him to chew his food and have him eat in a peaceful environment (no TV on). No food between meals!!!

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
(female)

jeanne30 HB User
Re: recurring tummy problems in 6-year-old

thanks very much for advice. The soup seems a good place to start, as does cutting out dairy. It's easy to overlook things when you're caught up in the thick of it all! Will give it a go. Have to get my recipe books out!! Thanks again

Closed Thread