It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

kimmad HB User
Exclamation Hib, strep in 2 year old

I hope someone can give me some thoughts.

I have a 2 year old son who has had numerous health problems since birth, including a severe case of GERD, swallowing problems, constant infections (ears, respiratory, etc), and more. He has already had his adenoids out and tubes put in his ears - but continues to get ear infections. A couple of weeks ago, he started another ear infection, but it didn't seem to get better with the drops we usually use. He was put on Omnicef to help and was on it for about a week, then started a fever (102.8). I figured it was the ear infection being resistant, brought him to the doctor's and they did a throat culture as his throat looked red. Rapid strep test came back negative, but just received a call that the culture was positive, not only for strep but for Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)!

My kids have all had their shots...every one. How is this possible? He was also on antibiotics at the time of getting this infection!

Not trying to have a sick kid, but I have always felt there was something larger going on (immune deficiency?). He is also very small for his age (bottom 2%) and is almost ALWAYS sick, often with weird things (he had thrush at 16 months, mild central sleep apnea, RSV). He's been tested every which way, for all kinds of things, including immune problems. So far, nothing has shown up.

Do you think I should insist on more testing? How unusual is it for a child to get Hib after vaccinations WHILE on antibiotics???

Anyone have a clue here? Thank you so much for any help!

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Hib, strep in 2 year old

DS cultured HIB for awhile, despite being vaccinated. It disappeared when he was put on zithromax, which is used not as an antibiotic in patients with cystic fibrosis, but to help with inflammation and increase lung function. Has your son been tested for cf -- symptoms include failure to thrive, frequent infections, culturing certain things -- psuedomonas...

I often wondered how, too DS could culture HIB, especially since he too was on antibiotics -- he was augmentin for ear/sinus infections and he's always on keflex as a prophalactic antibiotic.

IMO, being that he's culturing something a little more unique than what's the norm, I'd ask for genetic testing to rule out CF.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 09-23-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Hib, strep in 2 year old

Immune problems can be brought on by vaccinations. It is important to educate yourself on your own about vaccines. You are never protected, the manufacturers state this themselves, but they lead people to believe that they are protected. With your son on medications and antibiotics, those all constist of harsh chemical toxins, which further destroy the immune system, leaving the body open to sickness and disease. Antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria in the body, leaving it vulnerable. You need to build the immune system back up, escpecially after using antibiotics, for some reason doctors don't tell you this, but you can look it up. Have you seriously looked into taking your son to a naturopathic or holistic doctor? They find the root of the problems, whereas conventional doctors treat the symptoms with drugs and surgery. I feel terrible for your son, I also have a 2 year old, but she has never been sick in her life, not even the flu or a runny nose. I give her echinacea (Herbs for Kids) and daily vitamins and I use essential oils in her baths and feed her many organic foods to keep the toxins out of the body. Maybe this is something you can look into? I really hope the best for you!

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 09-23-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Closed Thread