It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User
How do chicken pox start?

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I noticed 3 small red bumps on my daughter's arms that resemble chicken pox. She wasn't around anyone who had them, although I know it can be spread before an infected person even knows they're infected. What are the beginning symptoms? My daughter has been acting normal, no fever or irritability.

She is 2 1/2 and had her first day of pre-school daycare yesterday...could it have spread that fast? Anyone with knowledge or experience, please help! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User
Re: How do chicken pox start?

My DD had three small bumps on her arm also they appeared about 6 days after we got back from vacation last month here they started to pop out more I thought she was catching chicken pox or something here I took her to the dermatologist because they came out on my arm to we were bitten by bed bugs from the hotel we stayed in and it was a nice hotel I am so disgusted by this.. Im sure thats not your case it just reminded me of our case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if i remember correctly,chicken pox will usually start first,in most cases,on the warmer areas under clothing like mainly the trunk area? it would appear first on like the chest area or stomach then spread out to the extremities. it has been a long while since i had to deal with this in my kids but i do think this is how it usually presents in most children first. like the above poster mentioned,being where it is and how it is,sounds much more like something else than chicken pox,but you never know ya know? does it itch at all? marcia

Old 09-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

Typically Chickenpox starts with a fever 2 days prior to the outbreak to the rash. The rash looks like insect bites and itches, they fill up with fluid and then break leaving a yellow scab.
Being 2 1/2 years old.....didn't she have the vaccine? That is usually given between 12 and 16 months. Another name is Varicella. You might want to check your records to give you some peace of mind. The vaccine isn't 100% so if it is the Chickenpox it should be a very mild case. Good luck to you

Old 09-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

Thanks for your responses ladies I called my DD's Dr. yesterday and she couldn't tell me for sure if she has them or not. She said if she does then it is a very mild case.

She did get the vaccine at a year and her Dr. said they give another one at around age 5. They still aren't sure how long the vaccine lasts for.

To be honest I'm a little uneasy about this vaccine. I'd almost rather my kids just get it the old-fashioned way as a child and get it out of the way. I guess I'm just afraid the vaccine will protect them as children, but they could still catch it as adults and the symptoms be way more severe.

So...no more new spots. It could very well just be bug bites...eeeew!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Is there a reason you wouldn't want your daughter to be exposed to chickenpox?...a lot of moms feel is a good thing for them to be exposed and get it over with....however it it doesn't sound as if you daughter has them. I remember once I thought for sure my very young daughter had chickenpox...she had clusters of bumps around her armpits....well I took her to the doctor and they made us sit in the car so not to expose the office. I remember it was a very hot day well the doctor told us that chickenpox don't start in clusters what she did have was flea bites. That was too funny...at any rate all my kids eventually got the chicken pox.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

To be honest I wouldn't mind if she DID have them , however I don't think that's the case. If she's going to get them...better now than when she's school age and has to miss a bunch of school. Oh well, it'll happen when it's meant to...if it ever does!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
(female)

Hyper Typer HB User

When I had chicken pox, 3 or 4 days before I broke out I was extremely tired and had no clue why. Two of my children had recently had them. At first I thought mine were big patches of mosquito bites. Then we realized they were chicken pox, not fun. I was 34 at the time. I did have a very light case as a child, but apparently not bad enough to make me immune. You are right, it is much more dangerous for adults so the dr. acted immediately with steroids. My youngest daughter, now 12, had the vaccine and so far no problems. The only thing that concerns me a bit is that if you have had chicken pox you are prone to shingles when you get older. I'm not sure if that is true with the vaccine. I've just known quite a few older people that have had shingles and apparently that can be really awful and long-lasting. I personally wouldn't expose mine on purpose cause you never know just how your child may react. My oldest daughter had what was called strep chicken pox. That really was a nightmare, but she recovered just fine, only it took longer than an average case. Also, my niece and nephew are now 24 and 21 and they had the vaccine when it was really new. They haven't had them nor have they had any problems from the vac. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread