It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

ericsmomi HB User
10 yr son with frequent nose bleeds

I have a 10 yr old son who has had nose bleeds on and off for the past 5 years. Over the last few months they have been coming rather frequently. He has had 12 in the last 3 months. It happens all times at all different times...i.e. sleeping, playing, etc. Any ideas on what could be causing this would be appreciated.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
(female)

skbrmom HB User
Re: 10 yr son with frequent nose bleeds

When I was a kid, I was anemic and had to take these huge iron pills for a few years. I can still remember them. UGH! I also suffered from frequent nosebleeds as a kid. One time, my mom couldn't get the bleeding to stop and actually called my dad home from work because she was so scared. I guess it stopped on its own at some point.I dont know if the anemia caused the bleeding. I could even tell seconds before the bleeding started because I could feel a tingling sensation in my nose. My mom would get a few seconds warning before the gusher started! This went on for a few years then just stopped. I almost never get nosebleeds now. I was also taking Dimetapp for allergies as a kid. I am wondering if the antihistamines dried out my nose to the point where the lining in my nose was just thin and bled easily. Is your child taking any meds that might be drying out his nose? Nose bleeds look shocking, like tons of blood is being lost. But as bad as mine were, I never bled out! I sure freaked out a few people with the nose bleeds though. I'd say dryness, a thin lining up in the nose, or medication could be causing the nosebleeds. I hope you find a cause and a solution!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
(female)

soccermom128 HB User
Re: 10 yr son with frequent nose bleeds

I have an 11 year old son who has had nose bleeds on and off since he was about 4. Like your son, there was a point a couple of years ago that they were very frequent, probably more than 12 in one month! He does have seasonal allergies and takes claritin semi-regularly. He sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night with them too. Other than that he is a normal, healthy 11 year old. I also had frequent nosebleeds as a child. I was probably in my early 20's when I stopped getting them. Maybe it's some sort of hereditary condition?? although I have a nine year old who has never had one!

Closed Thread