It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

svdm3036 HB User
Grandchild of 2, bad sleeping patterns

My daughter has not had a good nights sleep for 2 years with her little son. She actually has 2 sons, one 3years 8 months and the other one 2 years 2 months. Both boys wake up almost every night for some or other reason, the eldest is sleeping much better now. But the youngest wakes up 5 times a night, with a result my daughter can't fall into a good sleep. They have tried medicine, letting him cry, even giving him a hiding, just to eventually discover that he dreams a lot and wakes up with it crying. It seems his brain is too active at night. She can't go on this way. She has tried natural medicines, stopayne, nothing helps. Can you suggest anything?

Old 11-04-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User
Re: Grandchild of 2, bad sleeping patterns

HI Svdm,
Our eldest daughter went through a period of very similar sleep patterns so I understand your daughters emotional and physical exhaustion. She was waking every two hours or so (when she was about 3-4 years old) We were all exhausted. We took her to a child behaviouralist and this is what he recommended AND IT WORKED!!!!!

His explanation is that our DD's deep sleep was almost too deep and she was extremely active in her dreams and would cry out and thrash around. Later when she came into a light sleep phase (sleep is waves between deep and light) she would repeat the behaviour and wake herself up in an agitated state and couldn't resettle herself. Apparently everyone wakes several times but we can resettle immediately so we don't even notice.

I'm not sure if 2 is too young for this but it's worth a try.

Anyway, the first step is to work out when your grandson first wakes. Chances are that it is approximately the same time each night. Once you have established that then about 10 -15 before that time wake your grandson up. Literally! Sit him up, get him to say hi mummy or something and then lay him straight back down and back to sleep (dont turn the lights on or anything that might startle him) You must do this EVERY NIGHT for at least two weeks not matter if it is working or not. If it works then you need to consolidate the habit and if it doesn't then hang in there because it might work on the last night (then keep going for two weeks).

The idea of it is to try to flatten to sleep cycle waves and by avoiding the light sleep phase where they wake it helps to prevent him from getting into that really deep sleep where they are so active. I was concerned that this may effect the quality of the sleep but as the doctor pointed out, if they can stay asleep then they are getting a better sleep than if they are waking.

I would only attempt one child at a time.

This trick really did work for us and our daughter was sleeping through within four days (I kept going for three weeks just to be sure) We have had to repeat it once or twice but we have definitely got there.

I really hope you can have the same luck as us. Let me know how you go.
J

Last edited by jsfai; 11-04-2008 at 01:41 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

helen08 HB User

hi there i can relate to your daughter not being able to sleep with her children waking up all through the night.. i had the same problem with my son although he has adhd he didnt havent a full nights sleep until his doctor gave us a drug called melatonin which has been a blessing for my son amd also me. the doctor told me that it wasn't a drug like sleeping tablets but was used years ago for people suffering with jet lag....

aparently we all produce melatonin in our brains which tells the brain its time for sleep and if we are not releasing it then we stay awake. so some doctors will use melatonin for a while so the person can sleep at night and then to train the brain into sleeping., however my son was 8 when put on melatonin so i dont know if your grandchild is too young maybe something your daughter could ask gp or health visitors. i dont know what other suggestions there is may be someone on here could suggest something.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
(female)

spamula HB User

Have you tried Melatonin? It is a natural supplement and works wonders for sleep problems with children and adults. Both myself and my ADHD son take it every nite.

Closed Thread