It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 05:43 AM   #1
(female)

kyliesmama77 HB User
"Itchy Privates"

My 6 year daughter has been telling me that her privates are itching. This has been off and on for a few months and everytime I look, there is nothing wrong as far as I can tell. Last night she woke up in middle of the night because she said she was itchy. I told her to put on some diaper rash cream...

Could it be a yeast infection? Wouldn't there be some symptoms for that though? And she doesn't cry when she goes to the bathroom so I don't think it's a UTI. Any suggestions?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
(female)

tamtam67 HB User
Re: "Itchy Privates"

does she take bubble baths or been on antibiotics recently? It could be a yeast infection without seeing any other symptoms. She could also be irratated from a bubble bath or a new soap or maybe the type of undies she is wearing. Also, make sure to remind her the correct way to wipe. I know that might sound silly, but if she is wiping wrong, she could be getting a small trace of #2 in front and it will make her be itchy and uncomfortable. However, If it is yeast infection I do know what type of treatment a six year old would need. Hope this helps a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
(female)

kyliesmama77 HB User

She has been taking antibiotics for severe cough and congestion..hmm. I never noticed if the itchiness coincided with antibiotics... No bubble baths, she takes shower. I'll keep an eye on her to make sure she is wiping correctly, we have talked about it before. Will she need to go to the doctor if it is a yeast infection or is there some other way to get rid of it? And if it is, wouldn't it be a constant itching? (I don't know, never had one before!)

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User

My 6 year old daughter had a yeast infection last year. Itching and burning were her complaints.

The doctor prescribed a cream and oral diflucan. It went away.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
(female)

tamtam67 HB User

I have had my share of them and my only symptom is itchy and some burning, which is usually from all the scratching! The itching can go back and forth by the severity, so if it is not real bad one day she may not really complain. I get them almost every time I use antibiotics. I only know as an adult I was looked at the first time and after that I can buy the cream over the counter. I would check with your dr first. But like the other post said, probly just some cream or maybe a pill.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
(female)

henjenny HB User

Hi I'm a new visitor here and I think I'll be posting some questions of my own. As for itchy privates I learned that girls who don't rinse soap out of their vulval area well enough are often feeling itchy. A wand-sprayer is great for gently rinsing but caution is required to use low water pressure to avoid forcing any water into cervix. Not having a wand-sprayer means finding a simple alternative, like a squirt bottle that she can fill and squirt with. Another is urine residues. Sometimes the urine is high in salts and irritants that are left on the skin after the water from the urine is evaporated. If she has seepage between toilet visits she could need to wipe again. It is often difficult for some girls at young age to wipe urine out of themselves comepletely so a quirt bottle with body temperature water is helpfull to rinse herself before she wipes. Hope you find a solution or my experiences helpful.Don't wait it out a doctor may be the answer.

Closed Thread