It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
(female)

123gtm HB User
Advice please I'm a gran out of practice with toddlers

Hi I am new here and looking for advice. My daughter is a nurse has recently gone back to work and works 3 nights a week, I look after Ben her 18 month old son and he sleeps over at my house while she goes to work. I have been having problems getting him off to sleep at night. I tried reading to him and reassuring him etc. but he is very 'active' and often it is after midnight before he settles. Eventually I bought a CD of music-box nursery rhymes (called Lullaby baby) and this has calmed him a lot though he still dosn't go to sleep, he just lays there listing to the soft music. I don't want to alarm my daughter but should I tell her about his not sleeping until very late ? When I casually asked her about his sleeping habits when she is not working, she says he's fine !
I would appreciate advice please, I feel I am out of touch at parenting to a young toddler as its been a long time since I was a young mother !!
many thanks
Georgina

Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
(female)

kitchener12 HB User
Re: Advice please I'm a gran out of practice with toddlers

Maybe you could mention to his mum what kind of bedtime routine he has at home and try to mimic that to some degree?
Also if he naps well in the day with you or mum he may not be that tired at bedtime. I would try to keep the same routine through out the week if you can.
He may also just enjoy the music and is happy to settle when he is ready as long as everyone is getting enough sleep ( you included!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
(female)

klava HB User
Re: Advice please I'm a gran out of practice with toddlers

A lot depends on when he wakes up, and how much sleep (naps) he gets during the day. 18 months old should get about 14 hours of sleep altogether, more or less. If he wakes up later, let's say he sleeps from 9 to 9 (12 hours), plus 2 hour nap in the day, then he's going to stay up to 9pm. Usually, the change in the sleeping habit is gradual, by waking him up earlier and earlier, to make him tired by 7 or 8pm. Since his time is split between the 2 houses, you and the mother should really discuss his schedule to be on the same page. If his mother let's him to sleep in in the morning, then his late evenings are no surprise.

Closed Thread