It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
(female)

horseygirl14 HB User
fever in 9 year old after finishing antibiotics

Hello everyone. My 9 year old daughter has a fever this evening of 102.2. She just finished a round of antibiotics yesterday for strep throat. She is complaining of her stomach hurting again like she did when the strep throat started. Should I be worried that the antibiotics didn't clear up the strep throat and it's back again or could this just be something else. She is asleep right now and it's only 6:40 pm and that's not like her.

Any suggestions/comments?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: fever in 9 year old after finishing antibiotics

I would call your doctor right away, even after hours. I would not wait. If you cannot get through to your doctor, I would call the emergency room to ask for advice. I am not an alarmist, but some things you just can't take a chance on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Most fevers should be welcome as they are a sign that the body is fighting off infections and are not usually the enemy as most of us think they are. (i.e. giving Tylenol to make fevers to away.) Bascially they are so many things you can do at home to help your child heal without antibiotics. Antibiotics wreak havoc on the body. They kill both good and bad bacteria and the body needs that good bacteria to maintain a healthy immune system. Antibiotics lower the immue system and leave the body vulnerable to more sickness. Try habing your child drink spring water with fresh squuezed lemon in it. It is great for the throat because lemons are naturally antiviral and antibacterial for instance. This way you are addressing the problem directly and supplying the body with something rather than chemicals. You need to build her immune system back up naturally. If you go to the doctor, you are likely to get more drugs that never address the root of the problem. Try lemons, tea, apple cider vinegar, Herbs for Kids brand of herbs. Spaghetti with fresg garlic in it, etc.....

Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

what was the name of the anti B she was on? and for how long of a course? just one thing here about any anti Bs,some can really be hard on the stomach for some people. i cannot take any orally only becasue of the severe stomach burning i go thru,but have no problem with like a pennicillin injection.

there are also some very very strong strains of strep that are possible to get that just don't respond anymore to the standard protocals of anti Bs for strep. this did happen to our son years ago. he had just finished a round of amoxicillin(ten day course) and the very next day was vomiting and feeling really horrible,so it was back to the doc. he STILL had the same full strep we had started out with,it simply did not respond at all to the amox,so they gave him a stronger anti B called rocephton(sp?) for the next ten days,that finally kicked it. i really would get her back in to see the doc or to just get another throat culture just to be certain, if this was a true ten day course and she is still feeling this way.
if this was the Z pack of zithromax,it may just take a bit longer for the full benefits to really kick in. it is still a ten day course packed into five days. but if she still is not really well,i would take her in for another full eval and culture. good luck and i do hope she feels better soon. Marcia

Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
(female)

horseygirl14 HB User

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. She was on a 10 day course of amoxicillin (150 ml bottle - 5ml 3x day). I'm not sure they gave her enough dosage though. She weighs 76 lbs and she didn't get weighed at the walk-in clinic. I did tell them her weight when I called back the walk-in so they could call her prescription in. I just took her temperature again and it is 103.1. She missed almost a whole week of school 3 weeks ago and I don't want her to miss much more. I will probably see how she is later on and then take her back to the dr. I can't really see in her throat but her breath smells awful and her tongue is pretty pasty looking. I have 2 other boys and don't want this to spread through the house - although the rest of us managed to miss it a few weeks ago.

I will let you know what happens. Thanks everyone.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Others in your home will only get sick if the immune system is not strong. If you have a strong immune system, your body already has the tools it needs to fight off infection so you don't get sick. That is EXACTLY why people need to practice prevention. There are sick people in stores all the time and germs all over carts, but we don;t get sick everytime we go to a store. You must maintain a healthy immune system, you can do that naturally at home.

Closed Thread