It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
(female)

marcine26 HB User
ingesting mold

I am actually a little embarrased asking this and I dont know why.

my son 4 1/2 years old ingesting mold that was on his window sill. I am not sure how much but he came out of his room and had it all over his hands from sneaking a peak out his window while he was supposed to be sleeping. He came out asking to wash his hands and after some back and forth tug of war, he told me the black on his hands was from his window. I went in and noticed the dark mold on the bottom of the window. While I was cleaning his hands I noticed the black on his lips and told him to open his mouth and there was all kinds of black in there.

This all happened about a week ago with no affects...at least nothing out of the ordinary.

SHould I be concerned, what symptoms should I watch out for?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: ingesting mold

You wouldn't think so, but this is probably a good thing because now your child's immune system will recognize mold as a normal part of the environment and ignore it instead of developing allergies to it. When we try to isolate children from their environment and try to be super clean, the immune system does not know what is normal and then becomes hypersensitive later in life. Scientists call this the "hygiene hypothesis".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User
Re: ingesting mold

there is mold in a lot of our food. practically any kind of cheese has a mold, which gives it its distinctive flavor.
it is a little peculiar that the child ate the mold. I would consider having him tested for pica at the next doctor visit. I ate sand as a child. it was a potassium deficiency. if I had had a banana, I wouldn't have craved the sand.

Last edited by tommy124; 01-28-2009 at 08:41 AM.

Closed Thread