It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

njarvis HB User
how does a 2 month old infant get a fractured femur bone

how does a 2 month old infant get a fractured femur bone? The baby was taken to the pediatrician for check up and the nurse checked the babies legs and stomach and normal things for check up and said the baby was fine, hours after the appointment the baby was crying and wouldn't stop so the baby was taken to ER there they said the baby had a fractured femur bone! How?

Last edited by njarvis; 01-28-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: elaborate

Old 01-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: how does a 2 month old infant get a fractured femur bone

just what did the hospital have to say,did they do any type of specfic testing to check for abnormalities in bone formation? is there ANY history of possible child abuse? not knowing the whole story ,well its kind of hard to say what actually occured with this. but i can tell you one thing i KNOW for certain. under "normal' circumstances, it would take one heck of alot of force to actually break any infants bones since they are very flexable at that stage and would bend alot before it would break. an actual break in the femur is even much worse or would take even more force since it is one of the strongest bones in the human body. if you could provide some info it would really help. something just doesn't sound right here. like i mentioned above,under "normal" circumstances. there could be some problem with this childs bones too,thats why i asked about testing for anything odd.

please let me know anything more you find out. the hospital is going to really want to know what caused this too. its just not "usual" to see in a child this young. hopefully this child is okay everyplace else. Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

Actually as much as it seems that a baby has soft bones that don't break - they really do quite easily. I friends DD (2) broke her femur sliding down a blow up slide when she hit the kid at the bottom. My niece (2.5) fell off of her bike and broke her arm. Her cousin (5) just broke her arm falling off the couch. I know so many kids that have broken something fairly easily and they are all under the age of 5.

The infant could have rolled off the couch and broke it.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the one big difference with what you mentioned and what occured with this infant is just that, age. while a child grows,the bones start to turn into a more solid type of bone,that can break much more easily. but this is only a two month old infant whos bones are not really actual "bone" yet,they are more like cartelidge at that age and therefore much much harder to really break. age of the child really makes a big difference in bones breaking/fractures.

in what you mentioned with the above children,force was involved in some way with all of them. landing on any body part the wrong way also adds to the risk of a break too. unless there are bone formation abnormalities,it would take alot of actual 'force" from something or someone to actually break an infants femur. i do really think it would have had to have been something more pronounced than simply rolling off a couch to actually do this to an infant,espescially given the heaviness of an infants head compared to the rest of the body,the head would be the most likely thing to have hit first,you know what i mean? i am just hoping this child isn;t in any danger in its environment.

njarvis,do you have anymore info on how this child is doing right now? did they find any bone abnormalities? i do hope the baby is doing okay. Marcia

Closed Thread