It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
(female)

April Markham HB User
doctors don't know why my child has a chronic dry cough

My daughter is 9, she has had every test to determine that doctors just don't know why my child has a chronic dry cough for over 2 months. Also the cough sounds like a very deep bark. I feel bad, the cough embarasses her and makes her head and stomach ache. My daughter daughter is miserable. Can you help?
April

Old 02-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
(female)

sgc123 HB User
Re: doctors don't know why my child has a chronic dry cough

Have they tested her for asthma? The only reason I ask is my 2 year old was recently diagnosed with asthma and her only symptom was a cough that wouldn't go away. The only other thing I might suspect if she isn't sick is acid reflux. Does she ever complain about her stomach hurting or her throat burning? Sometimes the stomach contents backing up can trigger a cough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User

Asthma asthma asthma.
It's exactly what I went through with my daughter.....she's 6 now, and was diagnosed when she was 3, after a year or 2 of a constant dry cough........and coming down with severe croup several times a year.
I was lucky enough to have switched to a doctor that was known for diagnosing ashtma quickly.
We only used him for a short time because he just wasnt the right doctor for us for the long term, but i am thankful we at least had him for the short term. There were a lot of questions answered and a lot of solved problems once she was diagnosed.
Good Luck.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

your child's cough can be caused by many things. one being asthma, it is a fact that asthma does not always produce wheezing, it can produce just a dry cough, this is called CVA (cough variant asthma). i understand that the cough is a dry cough, which would also arise suspicions of croup, or gerd, or post nasal drip. this can also be habit cough, does your child cough at night? have you gotten her tested for asthma?
have her seen by an ent and make sure he scopes her, very high possibility of her having gerd, which can easily be treated. a cough is not so easy to diagnose but with the proper doctors and proper tests your child can be on the way to living cough free.

Closed Thread