It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
(female)

Skayril HB User
i was told by doctors to have my 1 yr old circumcised

i was told by doctors to have my 1 yr old circumcised

Old 02-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User
Re: i was told by doctors to have my 1 yr old circumcised

Not even close to true.
There are legitimate reasons for circumcision. They include things like frostbite.
There is no way that anyone can tell at one year, whether or not a person will need to be circumcised in the future. There are two kinds of phimosis (tight foreskin, the reason most doctors give for a circumcision). One is a normal stage of development. The foreskin is attached to the head, to protect it from the acid in urine. The other kind occurs after the man or boy has been able to retract, meaning that the foreskin has separated from the head, he is able to expose the head, and then scarring occurs, so that he can no longer expose the head.
The doctor cannot tell you truthfully that a one year old will not be able to retract later.
If you doubt my words, do a web search for phimosis and Oster (the Danish author).
Oster showed statistically that, while most can retract at three, many still can't retract at puberty, and it is normal for both.
If he has a problem in the future, he can stretch his foreskin with his fingers.
The foreskin contains the two most erotically responsive parts of a man, the frenulum and the inner foreskin. Both are either damaged, or completely removed, by circumcision.
The head is a distant third, as far as sensation. This doctor is trying to rob your son of his birthright, without considering "first, do no harm". Circumcision toughens up the head by callousing it, and by turning what was mucous membrane, like the inside of a mouth or vagina, to something more like the skin on your arm. If he has an infection, antibiotics can cure it. If a girl gets a UTI, they don't remove her clitoral foreskin, they give her antibiotics. If he has vesicoureteral reflux (kidney reflux), there is no guarantee that a circumcision will help...but regular antibiotics can.
I fell for this once. My son had a minor UTI at three. He was examined by a doctor, who said he needed a circumcision. I asked, "is there any chance that he could grow out of this phimosis in time?" He said, "Absolutely none. Circumcision is the only option."
I got a second opinion, and then a third. This was 1976. All three doctors agreed.
We had him circumcised. Then, I found out that phimosis at that age is normal, and that all he needed was antibiotics. I was horrified. We left our next son intact, and he has thanked us several times for it.
Best of luck with your little one. If you need any help in dealing with the doctor, or in figuring out what is going on, I will be happy to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User
Re: i was told by doctors to have my 1 yr old circumcised

Did this help?
In my opinion, the doctor should be reported to the medical board. If you hadn't questioned it, your son would have had unneeded surgery.

Last edited by tommy124; 03-02-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Closed Thread