It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

lindacof HB User
6 year old troubling separation anxiety

I have a 6 year old that is struggling with separation anxiety. I am working with the school and the psychologist at the school. Everyone is being supportive, however, he has us all stumped. He is fine as soon as he walks in the door. Does fine socially from what the teacher says. Is very gifted intellectually.
I have asked all the typical questions, have initiated all of the routines, reward charts, etc... that often work with others. He was fine with 3yr preschool then all went down the drain. Awful for 1/2 year of 4yr preschool...second half of the year was okay. Now in kindergarten it has been awful 90% of the time for 7 months. I have trouble getting him in the car in the morning. The teacher has to pull him out of the car at school. It is awful. He is my third. The other two had typical bouts of separation anxiety...but nothing like this.
He is a very head strong child. The usually tricks of the trade do not work on him typically.
Anyone have ideas, anyone have a similar situation?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: 6 year old troubling separation anxiety

Has the psychologist at the school done an evaluation on him? It's apparent he is having some emotional disturbances that need to be addressed. The teacher should not be dragging him out of the car. Has he expressed why he doesn't want to go to school? There is something that is quite disturbing about this entire scenario and I suggest that you insist he be tested for ED and try to get him some counseling so you can get to the bottom of this so it doesn't color his entire schooling experience. Best wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

lindacof HB User
Re: 6 year old troubling separation anxiety

The psychologist has eval him and can not see any issues. He literally takes a step across the door and everything is fine. I can not determine what it is about the actual hand off that upsets him so much. He has some anxiety the night before and the morning of...but it is mainly when he actually has to transfer from me to school. Thanks for your input.

Closed Thread