It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User
Transition to a toddler bed?

Hi all,

DD is almost 21 months old, I am expecting DD#2 in about 7-8 weeks so we wanted to transition our first daughter into a toddler bed sometime soon so that we could use the crib for our new baby. We have a toddler bed and our daughter is showing all the signs that she's ready, however, we are having a problem. The bed is still pretty high off the ground, I don't know the exact measurment, but we had to go out and buy a guardrail- this gaurdrail goes all the way from the head of the bed to the foot of the bed...only it's not very "tall." So when DD stands up I'm afraid if she pushes or leans on it she's going to flip right over it. The toddler bed is not as high as a twin bed, but it's still high enough that if she flips over head first she's going to get really hurt (even with pillows and blankets to catch her fall, I'm afraid of her falling directly and landing on her head).

My question is- what would you do? She's not quite understanding not to stand in her new bed, and it's too high to just "wing it" and let her figure it out. I feel like I"m stuck. How old are most kids before they are in a toddler bed? DH wants to just use the second crib we have and keep her in a crib for a while more, but is that normal? Could waiting to put her in a toddler bed make it more difficult later on? Does anybody have any experience to share?

Confused...
Sarah

Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: Transition to a toddler bed?

Hey Sarah!

What a tough situation to be in. I can definitely understand your dilema. While I don't have any "first-hand" experience, my gut would be to wait. It sounds like Ella may just not be ready yet. I wouldn't think there would be any harm in just waiting it out for a few more months.
The last thing you would want to do would be to push it on her (like "hurry up because the new baby is coming and we need your crib!"). She may feel slighted and get jealous.
Has she slept in the big bed yet? Also, are Ella and the new baby sharing a room? If they're not sharing a room, you could always set up both Ella's crib and her new big bed in her room, provided you have the room of course. That way it's just there and she'll be used to it when she's ready.
Of course if they are sharing a room, then you're just out of space. I think it's great that you have the second crib. I would say just wait a bit, like your hubby suggested it. It may be a bit safer for her.
I'm not sure when we're doing the big transition yet...maybe this summer before school starts back up.
How are you feeling? Can't believe the July 07 mommies are on baby #2! We're planning for a 2011 baby. In the meantime, we're preparing for a wedding in Jamaica this August - finally!
Take Care - Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Oh yes I get this dilemma. Is there a chance that you could hire or borrow a second cot/crib? It is getting pretty close to the birth of your second baby and it might actually be very unsettling for your toddler to be taken out of her cot and be 'replaced' by a new baby who mummy has to spend a lot of time with...
If you do need to transfer her, what about putting the mattress on the floor until she is a bit bigger and more capable of managing the bed. It may not be terribly attractive but safety is prority. It will only be a few months until she is ready for the big bed and it could be used as a reward for being a great help to mummy with the new baby or as a focus of attention on her if she is feeling a little unsettled by the presence of a new sibling....
Good luck with the new bub
J
Mum of three teenytiny's

Old 03-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I don't have much advice for you, as I'm currently going through this myself! We just got my almost 23 mo ds a toddler bed today, and he's sleeping in it as I type this (I hope...)! I was worried about the same thing--him falling out of the bed--so we got one that's really low to the ground, and if he rolls off he won't be hurt. Maybe a bit startled, so I'm really hoping it won't happen, but he won't be injured. I'm more concerned with him not going to sleep at bed or naptime, now that he has the freedom to roam around his room... But tonight it seems to of been a success.
We also needed the crib for our 7 week old ds. Not right away because he's currently in a bassinette next to our bed, but we wanted to give Liam time in his "big boy" bed, before he sees Brody in his old crib, and knows that it's been taken from him to give to the new baby.
Anyway, I think the matress on the floor might be a good idea if you want to transition her to a toddler bed before the baby comes. But I don't think that there's any harm in keeping her in a crib for longer. I would've preferred that Liam stay in a crib longer (before Brody, I always said that he'd be in his crib until he started climbing out of it, which he hasn't done yet), but we only have the one and Brody will need it soon, so we figured we'd make the transition now.
Anyway, good luck with everything!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

honestly, you don't have anything to worry about. i wouldn't even use the guard rail, as that is probably the reason your daughter feels safe standing up on the bed (and they just make it so hard to make up the bed!!!)! if you put her in bed without the guard rail, she will learn within a week not to fall out of the bed, i promise! throw a couple of pillows on the floor by the bed if it makes you feel better, but it really won't hurt her falling out of bed in the middle of the night.

i moved my first straight into a twin bed when she was about the same age as your daughter, and yes, it seemed so high!!! i didn't use a guard rail, and yes, she fell out of bed a few times in the first week (pretty much once a night!), but after that, she never fell out of the bed again. and she never got hurt when she fell out of bed. the first couple of times she woke up as soon as she fell out of bed, but after that, she would just sleep on the floor until we came in and moved her! and like i said, it was only in the first week and then she stopped falling out of the bed. we did the same with my second daughter too, with the same results. they learn pretty quickly....

i remember when i was a kid, and my sister and i had bunkbeds and i had the top bunk. this was back in the day, when there weren't guardrails on bunk beds!!! i fell out of my bunk bed on several occasions growing up.... but i never remember falling or getting hurt, i just have very clear memories of one of my parents coming in and picking me up and putting me back in my bed!

anyway, don't stress. she'll get used to it pretty quick. it's a little nervewracking, but she will be okay!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

PS - i highly recommend getting a baby gate to put in her doorway to keep her from wandering around the house in the middle of the night!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

I agree that you are really better off without the guard rail. It will tempt her to climb, whereas she can just get on and off the bed without it. In all my experience as mother, auntie, grandma, whatever, I have never seen a child hurt by rolling off a bed (not counting playing with other kids). Just provide a soft landing place, like a thick fluffy rug. If you get a gate or childproof knob for her door, she will be safe in her room.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User

I am very nervous to move my Alex to a toddler bed. I have a crib that converts, but have been dreading switching it. I just don't want him getting out of the bed... I can just hear him now... Knocking on his door when he's ready to come out!! hahaha I have to keep his door shut since the house we are in is very small... when we get into our new house, his room can stay open, but until then, I'm so scared to change his bed!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I just wanted to add that the others are right--she won't be hurt if she falls out of bed (unless she hits something on here way down, like a night table). When we sleep, our bodies are incredibly relaxed and limp, and this will prevent her from being hurt. It would probably wake her though, and might startle her a bit, so pillows would be a good idea as I wouldn't doubt her falling out a couple times before getting used to the fact that there's no rails there to keep her in.

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread