It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
(female)

flexibex HB User
2 year old still doing loose stools!!

Hello there! Sorry to bring up the subject of poo but my almost 2 year old daughter still has very loose stools. There is no form to them at all and they usually smell fairly bad! She was not a good breast feeder and went on cow and gate formula when she was 3 months. She eats well but will not touch veggies at all. She is now on cow and gate 1+ for toddlers and every time we try switching her over to cows milk she ends up with bad nappy rash. We are trying again by putting just a splash in her formula milk and waiting a few weeks before we up the amount!! I have spoken to HV and she says she cant be intolerant to milk etc because she eats cheese and yoghurts etc fine and that the milk and rash are not connected!! But every time we try she ends up in loads of pain from a really angry nappy rash! I have spoken to cow and gate and they said there is an ingredient in the formula to help keep there stools loose and so whilst shes on it she prob will have them but is it normal for her to have this? am I worrying about nothing? or has anyone else the same sort of problem?? Please help!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: 2 year old still doing loose stools!!

My ds (who's now 23mo) went through something similar. He had a cow's milk protein allergy when he was younger. He was breastfed until a year and I became pregnant again. So we put him on a soy formula, and gradually introduced cow's milk to him again. He did fine with it and was also able to eat cheese, yogurt, etc.. Then suddenly a few months back he came down with a bad case of diarrhea that lasted about a month! But he wasn't sick otherwise. And like your lo, he had a terrible diaper rash that wouldn't go away. His doctor told us to take him off all milk and dairy for 2 weeks, then re-introduce it to him slowly, which we did. We gave him back cheese, yogurt, etc. and he was okay. But as soon as we gave him back cow's milk, he got the diarrhea again!
So, it might be a slight bit of a cow's milk protein allergy that your lo has. Can you have her tested? That's the sure fire way to know if that's the problem. You might have to go to a soy formula, or some other form of milk (rice milk, or even soy might be okay since she's just about 2) for awhile, until she's showing no sign of allergy.
I hope she starts to feel better soon!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread