It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User
Question Still wetting the bed! HELP!

My daughter is almost 14 years old and still wets the bed. I took her to the doctor recently and she said that it is very common, and she should grow out of it by the time she is 16 - 18 years old. What!

I don't make a big deal out of it with my daughter, but I am secretly getting really tired of washing blankets, pillows, sheets, and plastic matress covers everyday! This can't be absolutly normal...can it? She is fine during the day, (never wets) but at night, no matter how many times I get her up to use the bathroom, she still wets! We limit her to nothing to drink two hours before bed, but it's not helping. I am very frustrated about this.

She says she dosent know she is wetting, and can't wake up. Is this really normal? What can I do?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Still wetting the bed! HELP!

Did you take her to a urologist? When my son was young and wet the bed the urologist made sure there was nothing wrong then put him on a small dose of Tofrinil/ imipramine. It is approved for bed wetting and I have to say it worked right away and it was such a relief to not have a wet bed for years and years plus he could go on camping trips and over nights with others. I totally understand the wet sheet laundering is very tiring. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User

AnnD, thanks for your reply, and no we have not taken her to a Urologist. But is a good suggestion. Does your son have to take the meds the rest of his life?
What are the side effects? Ive heard a lot of good and bad things about them.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

No he did not have to take for the rest of his life. Some Children are born with immature bladders and just need time for their bladders to catch up with the rest of the body...it is different for everyone. Usually by the time they are in their early teen they quit wetting on their own. But your child is older so first take to a urologist and see what is going on and if no problems then perhaps the medicine is the answer but you will only know after Urologist does some testing. The medicine is just the smallest dose it takes to stop the wetting...also used on the older population...After several years of taking the medicine we didn't see any side effects...actually I think that the no bed wetting was a surprise side effect and that is why it is used otherwise it is an antidepressant in larger doses. This is a very old drug and has been used for at least 50 years. Bedwetting is generally hereditary.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi,
My son wet the bed well into his high school years - I don't remember now, but it did stop by the time he graduated. We took him to a urologist when he was about 13 - just to make sure there was not another cause. Everything turned out OK, and the dr suggested not giving the medicine quite yet- as he thought it would end soon.
I was also very tired of the constant laundry - and my son did alot of it himself. Upon awakening in the morning, he would gather up everything and put them in the washer - and I would finish it up. Even though he was doing this, it wasn't incentive to stop the wetting (as some doctors would say).

I think there is bed wetting on both mine and his fathers side of the family, so I wasn't too worried about it being anything serious.
On the flip side - I now have an elderly dog that wet's inside and on his blankets on a daily basis - (poor thing - he doesn't understand either), so my washing machine (and my back) are getting quite a workout.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User

AnnD, what did the test that the Urologist give consist of? They didn't stick anything in his private did they? Just curious.

Marymk, Thanks for the reply. Their is no one on either side of the family that wet the bed, for this long at least. My sis-in-law's son wet once or twice a week till he was about 4, but I personally thought that was pretty normal.

Thanks again, good to know I'm not alone in this.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
(female)

Suev HB User

Hi, I feel your pain. My son wet the bed until I finally found something that worked for him until 11. I felt so bad for him. The reason he wet is because he is a sound sleeper. They have a problem with their sleeping. My son also is very hard to wake. Instead of cycling from stage one, to two, to three, to four deep sleep. They go from one to four which is deep sleep and stay there. I ordered a devise called the potty pager, which when you wet vibrates so only you know about it. It did take a good 6 months and he wouldn't give it up until about year. I told him not to feel so bad because he is just a deep sleeper. He is 18 and is still a sound sleeper but he was cured with the potty pager. He didn't want a bell or anything that would wake the whole family. It does take some time but it was the answer for him.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-12-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 12-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

I am a regular on these boards, so this is kind of embarrassing, but here goes: I wet the bed for YEARS!!! I was well into my twenties before it finally tapered off into nothing. There is nothing wrong with me, I just don't wake when I have to go. Never have.

It certainly made sleep overs difficult and was a very shameful secret. One thing you don't want to do EVER, is shame her about it. She doesn't have any control of the problem and it's not her fault. Yes you are sick of the laundry, but every time you gather it up with a sigh, she hears that and feels judged by you. I guarantee it. I can promise that she is more frustrated and saddened than you are at this point.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
(male)

shane124 HB User
Wink Re: Still wetting the bed! HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnc1234 View Post
My daughter is almost 14 years old and still wets the bed. I took her to the doctor recently and she said that it is very common, and she should grow out of it by the time she is 16 - 18 years old. What!

I don't make a big deal out of it with my daughter, but I am secretly getting really tired of washing blankets, pillows, sheets, and plastic matress covers everyday! This can't be absolutly normal...can it? She is fine during the day, (never wets) but at night, no matter how many times I get her up to use the bathroom, she still wets! We limit her to nothing to drink two hours before bed, but it's not helping. I am very frustrated about this.

She says she dosent know she is wetting, and can't wake up. Is this really normal? What can I do?
im going on 14 and i still wet the bed im hoping i stop the doctor said its normal.dont be worried

Closed Thread