It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
(female)

arowland HB User
Question 1 year old with possible cat allergy?

Hi! My son is almost 15 months old and we are struggling with a diagnosis for him. Here are a few things that have been going on:

He has had a runny nose for a few months. The pediatrician originally diagnosed him with a sinus infection b/c it didn't go away after a week. Well, even after the antibiotics this kept going on for a while, and we saw an ENT. The ENT did a blood allergy test which showed an allergy to cat dander. It was a level III (0.70 I think). So we were sent to an allergist, b/c we have 2 indoor cats. The pediatric allergist did a skin test and it came back negative for any allergies, including cats.

So that brings us to today. He has been rubbing his eyes a lot during all of this time, along with a runny nose. He has eczema, not bad, but it's there. He did not have eczema when he was born, but the week he came home, it started.

This all leads me to think that it's a cat allergy. But is it possible that 2 different types of tests show different results?

So sorry for the long post! I'm just at a loss. Our cats are staying in our basement for the time being. I'm trying to rid the rest of the house of cat hair...which seems impossible!

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User
Re: 1 year old with possible cat allergy?

My son is displaying some allergies lately too. Although if they were cat allergies, I'd be devastated. My ped told me that we could do a skin test which was the most accurate the older he gets. I have opted not to do anything yet, seeing as how his allergies seem to be seasonal. He is 21 months old, and has been getting sick around the same time I do, which is usually during high pollen and mold days.

I have had my cat for going on 14 years this summer, and he is like a first born to me. I don't know what I would do if I had to get rid of him, if my son had an allergy. He is really mean to everyone else but me too, so no one would take him!! I would just keep an eye on your son, and see if the weather changes or air quality could be a culprit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
(female)

arowland HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyheather View Post
My son is displaying some allergies lately too. Although if they were cat allergies, I'd be devastated. My ped told me that we could do a skin test which was the most accurate the older he gets. I have opted not to do anything yet, seeing as how his allergies seem to be seasonal. He is 21 months old, and has been getting sick around the same time I do, which is usually during high pollen and mold days.

I have had my cat for going on 14 years this summer, and he is like a first born to me. I don't know what I would do if I had to get rid of him, if my son had an allergy. He is really mean to everyone else but me too, so no one would take him!! I would just keep an eye on your son, and see if the weather changes or air quality could be a culprit.
I am in the same boat as you. I have had my cats for 7 years and the other for 5 years. They are part of the family, but I will give them away, if it is for sure a cat allergy. It will be hard to find someone to take them both.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

as one who has been highly allergic to cats my entire life, i'd strongly advise you to seek another opinion for your son. i have heard of false negatives on allergy tests, but i don't know how common that is.

if he is allergic to cats, his allergies will just get worse and it is SOOOO not fun!!! mine have gotten so bad over the years, i start wheezing within five minutes of being near a cat! and my eyes swell up horribly and oh, it's just awful!!! i didn't used to be that bad, but after so many years of prolonged exposure (all my best friends had cats growing up), it's just gotten awful!

if you have any vacation time, maybe you could take your son away from the cat hair for a week or so (maybe to visit a relative or something) and see if he improves? you'd probably need to pack freshly laundered clothes and stuff to make sure you aren't bringing the cat hair with you.... just a thought..... good luck!

Closed Thread