It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User
19 month old hardly eats!! Help!

Anybody have any clever tricks for making an extremely picky 19 month old eat something?? We end up giving him pureed baby food half the time because he refuses everything else. We are very frustrated. ANy advice is immensely appreciated!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User
Re: 19 month old hardly eats!! Help!

My son is 22 months and goes thru picky stages sometimes. I just offer him whatever we're having for dinner, and if he doesn't eat, we don't budge and offer him anything else. I give him at least one protein, on carb, 1-2 veggies, and some fruit to choose from, and sometimes all he eats is the chicken and sometimes all he eats is the peas! We just put it out there and he knows he won't get anything else. There has been nights when he's eaten 2 bites and went the rest of the night without anything else, and sometimes he eats everything on his plate, gets seconds on some things and wants a little snack after dinner.

He knows what he's hungry for, and if you think he's old enough, maybe let him in on some of the decision making. Like deciding between green beans and carrots, rolls or buttered bread, etc. He might be more apt to eat it if he helps. Or let him watch you cook, and show him how much you enjoy it. I'd like to say that he'll come around but I have a cousin who is 18 now, but when she was little she only ate chicken nuggets and french fries, and to this day, that's about all her meals consist of. She won't try new things and won't eat any other veggies.... some kids are just stubborn!!

Soooo... lol this may not have helped but just hang in there and keep offering healthy options and hopefully you'll keep from getting too frustrated!
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: 19 month old hardly eats!! Help!

A lot of this is toddler assertiveness and can become a power play. I totally agree with the previous poster - she nails it as to how to deal with the situation. Don't choose this as a battle, he will not starve. (My little brother lived on 2 peanut butter sandwiches a day for most of his third year). Put the food out for him; encourage him up to a point, then let it go. He will eat when he gets hungry enough and if he gets no payoff (fuss, attention) by not eating it. Let him graze too, put out fruit and other healthy snacks, some kids are a bit daunted by a plateful of food. The bottom line is to not worry or pressure him, don't ever make food an emotional issue. Sera.

Closed Thread