It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
(female)

kristi6190 HB User
potty question..

i know this isnt quite a health issue, but my daughter is older than 18 months so i couldnt go to that board.
i have a 2 yr 3 month old daughter who i am so desperately trying to potty train. i'm 5 months pregnant and i would like it if my daughter were potty trained before this baby comes. i've tried pull ups, she pees in them like they were a diaper. i've tried training underwear and it worked at first then i would take her to the potty ever 1-2 hours and she'd go, we'd cheer and she'd get rewarded of course. then 5 minutes later she'd go in her undies. i got sick of cleaning up the mess. i know she unsderstand that going on the potty is good and she will ask to use the potty. is she just too young still? its like she forgets or doesnt care enough.
i was just wondering if any of u had any methods that really worked for u? should i give up and try again in a few months or keep trying?
thanks for your time and advice.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: potty question..

honestly, i'd wait until after the baby comes and your daughter has time to adjust. most of the time, potty trained kids tend to regress after the birth of a new sibling anyway. with my first, i waited until i was done nursing the second (at 4 months) and then started potty training (so my first was almost 2 1/2) and she got it right away. with my second, i waited until my 3rd was 6 months, maybe(?) and my second was just over 3 years old, and she was a bit slower, but partly because i was less consistant with her.... but she didn't take too long.

anyway, i'd make a point of going potty right before bathtime for now, and of course, any time she asks to go, but other than that, i'd wait until after the baby comes.

congrats, by the way! boy or girl???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

She just isn't ready so stop for awhile. I am sure that she also is feeling your frustration and pressure to get her potty trained before the next baby comes along. That would be great but she isn't ready so just sit down and take a deep breath and never take this potty training seriously. Have fun with it. Because as things happen even if she decides it is time she might slip back after the new one arrives and then you will be even more frustrated. Potty training and eating issues are two things you will never have control over so just relax and it will all come together when it is suppose to. Even when they are young pick your battles. Five years from now they both will be using the big toilet and this will all just be a memory...cherish the moments. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

My daughter was the same with pull ups, they feel and look close enough to a diaper so they figure why not use them like one...we just went out an bought a BIG supply of panties (have her pick them out for excitment) My daughter really didn't like the feeling of wet or soiled undies so it didn't take long for her to potty train...my son was a bit more stubborn. I would say keep trying but don't be too concerned or persistant or she may rebel.

Some of the methods I tried were a "Treasure Chest" preferrably a clear box that can be viewed easier which creates more anticipation for them(most cosmetic departments have the big clear cosmetic boxs) fill it with candy, toys, stickers, etc and when she goes potty she gets to pick a treasure.

Potty Bingo, make a bingo chart (some childrens websites have free Bingo programs that you can choose your design and print off, can even use cartoon characters) every time she goes potty she gets to use a real dauber and dab a spot...at first get her to fill a line, then work your way up to a full card. Be sure to have a special surprise for her when she gets a Bingo though.

I've also used a sticker chart...just had a reusable chore chart with vinyl stickers and every time shed go, shed get to pick a sticker to put on her chart.

And the timer method...set a timer for every hour...when it beeps have her sit on the potty...keep a supply of kids potty books, coloring books and crayons, bubbles...anything to keep her occupied while she sits, as she gets more and more successful you can increase the time between intervals gradually...don't go too fast though, increase by 15 minute intervals at first.

When she does go, be sure to make the BIGGEST deal about it ever each and every time.... get her to call Daddy, Grandma, Grandpa, Aunty, etc.

She is still young and some kids are more stubborn...but it will come...be consistant. And dont be too negative if she has an accident...instead focus on the positive when she makes it...it will motivate her to get the positive attention more often.

Goodluck.

Closed Thread