It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
(female)

LKS HB User
My daughter is over 3 years old but her hair hasn't really grown since she was a baby

My daughter turned 3 in March 2009 and I'm really worried because her hair is not growing and is very thin as well. You can even see her scalp. She is mixed race, I'm white and my husband is black so I would emagine she should have quite thick hair. She had blood tests done a little while ago and it turned out that she is lacking iron so now she's taking the supplement prescribed by the doctor. I'm just not sure how long it will take before I can see some improvement. Or whether there could be another reason for her hair not growing? Is there anything else I can do to help her hair grow and get thicker? Anyone who had the same experience?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
(female)

Frogans2005 HB User
Re: My daughter is over 3 years old but her hair hasn't really grown since she was a

Have you tried trimming her hair? Just the very tips of it. This stimulates the hair to grow. Also, you can try massaging the scalp to stimulate the bloodflow that helps too. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2009, 01:57 AM   #3
(female)

LKS HB User
Re: My daughter is over 3 years old but her hair hasn't really grown since she was a

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your advice, I will try it and see what happens.

Lucia

Old 05-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

It's my understanding that we get our hair from our mother's side (maybe that's a myth, but it's what I've always been told.... does anybody know for sure???). What type of hair do you have? Did you have a lot of hair at that age?

I know it's different with all children. My three daughters all have had very different hair growth. My 5 year old has super thick, super long straight hair, that didn't really start growing until she was over three.... now it grows like crazy (she could actually sit on it before I cut it last!) My 3 year old has thin, extremely curly hair, that barely reaches past her shoulders.... and her hair really started growing right around her first birthday. My 10 month old has more hair than either of the other two had at that age (thicker), but it's not growing in length as fast.

Anyway, keep her on a healthy diet, keep giving her the iron supplements and give it some time. It will be harder for you to notice much change in her hair, because you see her every single day. It might help you if you take some pictures of her hair every couple of months and compare them. That way you can keep track of how her hair is growing.

I hope this can at least help ease your mind a bit....

Old 06-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
(female)

myqtpie HB User

Hi,

I just posted something about this under hair problems.

My daughter is almost four and her hair is extremely short. After numerous (really many) visits to various dermatologists I finally found a great one last month. He told me that she suffers from short anagen syndrome. Its when the hair grows normally but falls out too soon. We had a trichogramm (hope that word exists in english too)done and that came out. Supposedly it should take care of itself during puberty....am keeping my fingers crossed.

I would ask a doctor to check for that. As it is very rare it's not often known...or checked for.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:20 AM   #6
(female)

LKS HB User

Thank you so much, I'll take her back to the GP asap and tell them to check for this possibility. Many thanks once again!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
(female)

myqtpie HB User

No problem.

If you do you have any news please let me know. As the internet even states this as being underreported..... "any" information would be great.

Take care

Closed Thread