It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

mommyo3 HB User
Very sick child - fever, lethargy, round rash, swollen lymph nodes, red eyes

I don't know what to do... my child is very sick in the hospital and no one know what is wrong. He has had a fever of 101-102.5 for 7 days. He has a rash on his cheeks, back, legs, arms. Most of the rash is just red, but then there are circular spots (about the size of a quarter) on his arms and legs that are raised. His eyeballs are very red. He also has swollen lymph nodes and a sore throat. He's very lethargic. Not talking or moving much and sleeping most of the day. I'm very scared. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
(female)

Stonepile HB User
Re: Very sick child - fever, lethargy, round rash, swollen lymph nodes, red eyes

Mommy03- I can identify with you, but I am not a doctor. Have you searched the internet? How old is your son? Has he recently had any immunizations? (I'm sure that I won't think of a question that hasn't already been asked.) I did a quick search and here are a few things that popped up. Since I don't know everything there is to know about your son it would be good for you to look these up to see if any stick out to you based on what your son's symptoms are. I'm a firm believer in a Mom's intuition or in other words, take serious thought about acting on your gut feeling.
Read about these if they haven't already been ruled out.
Rubella, Measles, Kawasaki's disease (are his fingers peeling? Is his tongue a strawberry red color? His fever is lower than the normal presentation, but not all KD kids present with the typical symptoms. It's very important to start treatment ASAP if this is a possibility. I'm guessing they have probably already thought about this disease.) Aspergillus (mold)

When my son was five he ran a fever of >104 for six days. We couldn't get the fever down any lower using alternating Tylenol and Motrin. He did have a rash all over his body. He was extremely lethargic. The doctor referred us to a children's hospital and she put her arm around me and said that she believed that my son had Kawasaki disease and that all was going to be fine. The children's hospital ended up saying that he didn't have it, but it was an ordeal that I will never forget. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your son, and your doctors. Please keep us informed on how he is doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
(female)

onemarinemom06 HB User
Re: Very sick child - fever, lethargy, round rash, swollen lymph nodes, red eyes

Mommy03, I understand your concern and I'm keeping your son in my thoughts. I really didn't know I was going to respond to your post until I read Stonepile's post about alternating Tylenol and Motrin. This reminded me of a time when my daughter was about 13. She became sick, as kids do, so I gave her Tylenol for the fever, and four hours later my mom gave her Motrin. That is when we discovered that she is allergic to ibuprofin. She had taken Motrin before, for headaches and not had a problem but for some reason after taking the Tylenol, the Motrin caused an allergic reaction. This causes her to get a rash and she was miserable with it. Even her Dr. was stumped over that. And now almost 14 years later, she still cannot take ibuprofin for any type of pain relief. (I'm not a big believer of alternating these two OTC medications for that reason).
Please keep us informed on your sons condition and know you are all in my thoughts.
Becky

Old 05-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
(female)

mommyo3 HB User

Thank you for sharing your stories, and for your concern. He is still extremely ill. Joint pain has now been added to the list of symptoms. They did test his sed rate and platelet count and did an ultrasound of his heart to see if Kawasaki's could be a possibility, but it doesn't look like that is what's going on. If things do not improve by tomorrow, we may transfer him to a better hospital.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
(female)

Stonepile HB User

Mommy03 - This is a long shot and usually affects adults 20 - 40 y.o., but can and has been seen in any age with a subpopulation of under 4 y.o. When I googled all of the symptoms that you've listed and now including the
joint pain a new possibility popped up. Have they considered Sarcoidosis? It's difficult to diagnose as there is no one specific test and to make matters worse it doesn't present the same in people because it can affect different organs. (Most of what you have mentioned along with the quarter size circular spots.)

Hope I didn't cause anymore undue concern. Please keep us informed as to how your son is doing. I'm still praying for you, your son, and the doctors.

SP

Old 05-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Oh I am so sorry you and your son have to go through this! A little more information might help figure things out....

Have they already ruled out:

-any Group A Strep infections
-Rheumatic fever
-Lyme disease
-Measles
-Systemic JIA?

What tests have they already done on your son?

How did your son's symptoms present?

How long has your son been in the hospital?

What had your son been doing prior to getting sick? (school, after school activities, visiting friends, eating out, etc....)

Are any of his friends sick?

I sure hope they can figure it out and that he gets better soon!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Have they checked him for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis?

I hope he is better SOON! My prayers are with you.

Nancy

Old 05-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
(female)

Stonepile HB User

Mommy03-
Just wondering how your son is doing and if you have found out anything. Still thinking about you. Hope this means that things are better.

Stonepile

Old 05-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

I was thinking about you and your son as well.... sure hope things are okay.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:51 AM   #10
(female)

mommyo3 HB User

Thank you all for checking in. There were a couple of days where he couldn't even walk. Yesterday, he actually took a few steps, although he's very weak and wobbly. It's very scary when your 3 year old suddenly can't walk.

One of the tests came back positive for Parvovirus (Fifth's disease). Fifth's disease can cause fever, rash, and joint pain, but not his other symptoms. It also doesn't typically make kids feel very sick, so the doctor's think he may have also had a secondary infection at the same time, although they're not sure what it is. There are still some tests that haven't come back yet (including some of the ones that everyone suggested).

They did release us from the hospital yesterday. He seems to be improving, slowly. The fever is very low, rash is only on his arms at this point. He is playing and talking. He just still has the joint pain, and we will be working on getting him back on his feet slowly.

I hope one of the tests shows us what else may have been going on. This has been (and continues to be) a scary experience.

Thank you all again!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know, I wondered about Fifth's Disease, but everything I remember about it says the rash usually shows up after all the other symptoms are gone. I wonder if a secondary infection is what caused the prolonged symptoms?

Your poor baby! I have a three year old too, and I just don't know what I would do if she were so sick! I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now! I sure hope they can figure things out! Have you tried looking up complications from Fifth's Disease, or secondary infections associated with Fifth's Disease?

He is on the mend though, right? I wonder if the joint pain he is feeling now could be just from being sick in bed for such a long time? Maybe he just needs some time to work the kinks out? Hopefully??? I sure hope your little guy gets all better soon! We'll say extra prayers for him.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
(female)

Stonepile HB User

Mommy03 - thanks for getting back to let us know how things are going. I'm so happy to hear that your son is well enough to be home. I'm sorry to hear that he is still not his normal self. I remember when my son was so sick and he just lay on my shoulder and wouldn't move. His fever was so high and it scared me to death. When these active boys start lying around and are listless you know something is up.

Both of my kids had fifth's disease and in fact, my son got it twice. Almost back to back. When I took him back in to see the pediatrician he didn't want to believe that he had it again, in fact said that he couldn't, but then went and consulted his books. When he came back he said that a small percentage did contract it again. However, in both of their cases they had a mild illness with a very low grade fever about ten days before they broke out with the rash. Their cheeks looked just like they'd been slapped. I'm sure that you know all of this, but I'm like you and think that there has to be something else too. I hope that one of the remaining tests will tell you something else definitive.

Still keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
SP

Closed Thread